The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Package list by Aircraft type?

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Tom C
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Package list by Aircraft type?

Post by Tom C »

Hi guys.

I've spent the last 2 weeks since a Win7 crash decided to wipe out all my FS9 and FSX files.
I was in luck that for reason's unknown, I had completely backed up everything I had installed less than 3 days before. Lucky I know, and yet no idea what caused me to back up the needed files.

From discussions behind the scene's at AIG, I've decided to group as many of my AI traffic.bgl files together as possible.
That means all my large GA files will be brought down from hundreds to 20 or 30 listing as Aircraft type, ie A318/A319/320 ACJ, 721/722/732/736/737/737w/738/738w BBJ and so on. I will eventually get all the slightly smaller GI/II/III/IV/V/550 and other of that size grouped together too.

Why, you may ask, would I put myself through all this?
Simple enough reason.

Pick the HTAI GV series as a small example.
Between the V and 550 series, I currently have 89 different traffic.bgl files.
None are holding the same Aircraft reg, but still having 89 different files to load.
Tidying up these into 1 or 2 larger traffic_GV.bgl and traffic_G550.bgl files saves PC resources instead of loading the 89 above.

I know most of these are located in UGA, HTAI or other named Aircraft folders on my HD, so again reducing these down to 1 GV and 1 G550 file saves FS9 or FSX locating 10+ differect Aircraft folder to look for textures for all these Aircraft.

At the likes of Nice, you can imagine the amount of searching for traffic.bgl and Aircraft texture files needed to show all the GA I have installed.

While I'm at it, I've decided to put as much MIL_CARGO of this type into similar folders and bgl files.
This is where I could do with some help from you guys.

I know the map on the front page groups things together very nicely by world region/country.
Is there anything similar for Aircraft type?

What I'm particularly looking for is the 737/747/757 series of Aircraft, Airbus, Beechcraft, Douglas, Gulfstream, Learjet and any other type included in MAIW projects.

I probably need to update most of my MAIW files, as some of my MIL files are pre MAIW or early MAIW products.
Any help with this ongoing (foolish?) project of mine, greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work all, it really makes a difference to our AI skies.
Regards.
Tom C.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Re: Package list by Aircraft type?

Post by Stewart Pearson »

This has been discussed at some length over the years on various forums Tom.

The jury is still out on whether 1 big bgl loads faster than a load of smaller bgls. There's also a school of thought that there is no difference, as the same information needs to be loaded, no matter how it's packaged.

I've tried it both ways and I cannot say I noticed any appreciable difference. The only benefit in the multi bgl system is the ease of editting in future.

Just my thoughts.

btw: Go to this page http://www.militaryaiworks.com/filelibr ... tlist.html

By selecting a/c type, you'll see a list of packages which use that type...............might help with the project :wink:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Tom C
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Tom C »

That's exactly what I'm after Stewart, many thanks for that.

The future ease of editing is another reason I completely forgot to mention too.

However, on testing here over the last 2 weeks since moving all my BBJ and ACJ files into 6 (at the moment) files, I have seen in improvement at certain GA heavy useage Airports like Nice and St Maarten.
I can't say in FPS terms if there is an improvement, but FS9 loading time at these 2 for example has definately been quicker for me.

It's something I will be keeping a close eye on over the coming weeks/months as I get my system tidied up some more and will report back on that side.

Maybe I've just done a stupid thing here, but I've completely deleted everything MIL related and am going to start from new.
Looks like little if any beer over the next few weekends getting it all back in cleanly :smt003

Thanks for the help.
Regards.
Tom C.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by campbeme »

Just noticed the AMC packages need adding to that list.

Mark
Mark
Graham King
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Graham King »

It took me half an hour to find a fix the problem but the aircraft pages are now correct. There were a couple of dozen packages missing.
Graham King

Why can’t they keep the colours in the bloody paint pots and just leave them grey

www.graham-king.me.uk

Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Graham King wrote:It took me half an hour to find a fix the problem but the aircraft pages are now correct. There were a couple of dozen packages missing.
I hope it wasn't anything I did this time :oops: :D