The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

VERY basic - and possibly dumb - question . .

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

VERY basic - and possibly dumb - question . .

Post by expat »

And likely stating the obvious. I have enjoyed for years playing around with AI. Not so much commercial but I put together my own GA and military flightplans and parking. Did a lot in FS9 and now FSX with carrier ops, building the carrier AFCAD parking (and "flatten AFCAD) and using TTools to make flightplans, etc. etc.

Recently got the bug to do some V-bomber, Vulcan, Victor etc around the UK using a lot of UKMIL stuff.

It seems that from the very begining while I can support a reasonable amount of AI around an airfield, when it comes to cycling through the different AI planes (in FSX using the W key) I get horrendous texture loading delay. It takes almost a minute to "recover". We all know FS and added AI involve trade offs on performance. Most mention FPS but I seem to suffer less from low frames or stutter but slow texure loading to the point doing AI isn't much fun.

My rig is a dual core E8600 using a NVidia X275 card. Generally in FSX it performs well e.g. with FTX scenery and heavy payware flyable a/c.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

expat
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: VERY basic - and possibly dumb - question . .

Post by BadPvtDan »

IME, it's all about the CPU. Try overclocking?
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
GrahamS
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by GrahamS »

Using the "W" key is an horrendous way of viewing the AI aircraft, you definitely need the FSX SDK. Unfortunately it only comes with the Deluxe version. Using Traffic explorer is a pleasure and much faster. :)

It also helps not to view the AI in a separate window, just using the one window will assist with frame rate and speed of reaction.
Which way is up?
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

Thanks. Always thought overclocking was hazardous to one's (already fairly hot & stressed) cpu.

Thanks for the tip re the SDK and windowed approach to viewing AI. I have the FSX Gold ed. so also have the SDK somewhere. Never really worked out how to use the traffic part of it.

expat