The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Military Callsigns - a brief explanation

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Military Callsigns - a brief explanation

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Hi there

One thing I would like to point out is that callsign vcpmods which will be included in future packages are suggested callsigns based on current research.

They should not be seen as "must use" items. Everyone will have differing ideas, needs and preferences.

Using Maxwell as an example we are currently suggesting TOIL and DOG, however REACH ,TROOP and HERKY are just further callsigns that may be used. When dealing with Mil Callsigns, one has to take a best average of the more likely ones. Every unit will have their standard callsigns, but they will also use other callsigns as and when necessary, which may be related to theatre of operations, tasking or exercises.

So when the packages start being produced, please do not feel compelled to use the MAIW ones, everyone can use the callsigns they feel comfy with, by just changing the [ATC_Airline=] appropriate section in the aircraft cfg.

Cheers

Stewart 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
P3_Super_Bee
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by P3_Super_Bee »

Will add. Most of the time for US Navy(non tailhookers) the callsign will be

NAVY PF675

Navy: pretty easy to figure this part

PF: The squadrons tail code

675: Aircraft side number.

Sometimes they will use squadron nick name IE: VPU-2 are the Wizards so they sometimes use WIZARD. The number they use could be the aircraft side number or a number each Pilot picks. The number they pick is up to them but they pick the numbers by seniority. With 1 reserved for the Skipper(Commanding Officer) or 2 for the Executive Officer.

Now the tailhookers will use the squadron nickname or similar and the side number of the aircraft.

For the non-tailhookers some areas of operation they will have "canned" callsigns. IE P-3's going from Kadena to Diego Garcia will use DGAR, and the number will be the number of aircraft flying the route. IE if you are the second aircraft to file you will be DGAR02. This is done because the callsign is also country clearances for overflight.
delta b
Captain
Captain

Post by delta b »

Jeff,

Thanks for the info--very insighful! :D

Dan
WHAT? People actually FLY in Flight Sim???
GZR_Sactargets
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GZR_Sactargets »

We used to joke that they kept a guy chained in a closet. From time-to-time they would open the door and shout "callsign." If he came up with a good one-they threw him a slice of bread. SAC was notorious for being regimented. There were 'standard' callsigns by unit. Those were also classified and changed at regular intervals. There was also a detailed system to authenticate messages which provided directions for actions.
GZR_SACTARGETS
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

I'm assuming this is an appropriate place to stick this list... though it's somewhat dated.
http://www.henney.com/chm/callsign.htm

It's an interestin glist in that it has not only USAF and USN related callsigns, it also has some international ones.

((If anyone decides this should be deleted or moved.... no problem.))
John
"I may be old and slow, but when I waddle down the hill to a group of cows, I get 'em all - unlike the randy young bulls who get too excited and are totally spent after fun with just one."
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Can never have too many callsign lists John.

Cheers

Stewart 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
chrispeschke
Cadet
Cadet

Canadian Callsigns

Post by chrispeschke »

For those of you who have downloaded the Canadian C-130 package, the Canadian Forces callsign regs permit the use of Squadron callsigns (Talon 23=Sqn + last 3 of the a/c side #) and they are permitted for use for flights within CANUS (NORAD) Airspace & for specific out of country exercises/ops, otherwise for international flights the CF uses "CANFORCE".
Cheers
Chris
Any landing you walk away from...
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Chris,

If I recall, we set them up to use Canforce on the foreign trips.

Cheers

Stewart 8)
Stew

neil
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by neil »

Hi gents

i have got edit voice pack installed, and have managed to import callsigns etc.....

but!
i have tried to assign a call sign to an aircraft, but theres a snag.....
the call sign im trying to use, works fine with the a/c it came with....

but when i add it to the jet i want, instead of saying it as a word.....
the controller is spelling it....

eg as a word....bucket
controller.....B bravo
U uniform
c charlie
and so on.......this is becoming a pain and i have no idea what to do next....has anyone got any help they can offer please????

cheers
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Neil,

Sorry but I haven't encountered this problem before.

What I would try is a re-install of Editvoicepack. Firstly back-up your existing voicepack using EVP and then after re-install import the saved voicepack and see if that works.

If it doesn't, then my only other thought would be a reinstall of FS9 itself. :cry:

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

neil wrote:Hi gents

i have got edit voice pack installed, and have managed to import callsigns etc.....

but!
i have tried to assign a call sign to an aircraft, but theres a snag.....
the call sign im trying to use, works fine with the a/c it came with....

but when i add it to the jet i want, instead of saying it as a word.....
the controller is spelling it....

eg as a word....bucket
controller.....B bravo
U uniform
c charlie
and so on.......this is becoming a pain and i have no idea what to do next....has anyone got any help they can offer please????

cheers
If it's an AI plane I believe this occurs because the flight plan is NOT set to use callsigns but registrations. That used to happen to be me before I learned about EditVoicePack.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi there,

I don't think that's the problem here as all MAIW packages have been set to use callsigns. In the event that one slipped through, F.S. would revert to the Registration of the aircraft rather than spelling out the callsign phonetically.

It's a puzzle that's for sure, but I suspect some form of corruption of either the FS Voicepack or the EVP utility. :?

edit:

AHA! Could this be the problem?

Neil make sure when entering the callsign in your user aircraft that you enter it;

atc_airline=NAVY Correct
and not;

atc_id=NAVY Incorrect

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

Stewart Pearson wrote:Hi there,

I don't think that's the problem here as all MAIW packages have been set to use callsigns. In the event that one slipped through, F.S. would revert to the Registration of the aircraft rather than spelling out the callsign phonetically.

It's a puzzle that's for sure, but I suspect some form of corruption of either the FS Voicepack or the EVP utility. :?

edit:

AHA! Could this be the problem?

Neil make sure when entering the callsign in your user aircraft that you enter it;

atc_airline=NAVY Correct
and not;

atc_id=NAVY Incorrect

Cheers

Stew 8)
Based on the post I got the impression he had set up the plans himself... perhaps I misinterpreted. If you use a flightplan with registration instead of callsign and then put letters into the registration slot it will read them phonetically.

eg. AC#2,WARTHOG,2%,1Hr,VFR,00:40:00,00:57:15,090,R,0001,1BDL,01:10:00,01:27:15,090,R,0001,KBAF

This will be read by ATC as Whiskey, Alpha, Romeo, etc...

Posting the aircraft.cfg would be the next step so someone could help him out... I thought the same thing you did with the airline and id being misplaced.
neil
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by neil »

hi guys

thanks for that.......

i have solved the main problem.......i had put it after ATC_id... :(

all i have to do now is figure out how to change the default as it were....

i tried adding a call sign to the iris tonka, but it keeps coming up with the default one...N7000m for example!
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Neil,

Can you copy and post the aircraft cfg entry in the Iris aircraft and perhaps we can see if there is an error or not.

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

neil
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by neil »

[fltsim.172]
title=Tornado GR4A 006 - CBLS
sim=TornadoGR4
model=GR4_CBLS
panel=
sound=
texture=006
checklists=
description=RAF Tornado GR4A - ZA372 006\nVersion 4\n\nModel & Textures by IRIS Flight Simulation Software\nwww.irissimulations.com\n
atc_airline=NIKON
ui_manufacturer=IRIS
ui_type=Tornado GR4A - ZA372 006
ui_variation=Range Training

i added the bold line as there was nothing there!!
SMOC
Captain
Captain

Post by SMOC »

neil wrote:[fltsim.172]
title=Tornado GR4A 006 - CBLS
sim=TornadoGR4
model=GR4_CBLS
panel=
sound=
texture=006
checklists=
description=RAF Tornado GR4A - ZA372 006\nVersion 4\n\nModel & Textures by IRIS Flight Simulation Software\nwww.irissimulations.com\n
atc_airline=NIKON
ui_manufacturer=IRIS
ui_type=Tornado GR4A - ZA372 006
ui_variation=Range Training

i added the bold line as there was nothing there!!
What is the atc_type and atc_model? Looks like it would be under the [general] section of the aircraft.cfg.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Neil,

The bold part is the one which controls the callsign and you need to now add a flight number.

Therefore open up your cfg file again, scroll down until

atc_airline=NIKON, and then insert the following underneath;

atc_flight_number=

After the equals sign enter whatever flight number takes your fancy, so if you want to be Nikon 22, then your cfg will be

atc_airline=NIKON
atc_flight_number=22

Scroll further down and you should see something like;

[General]
atc_type=Britishaerospace
atc_model=Tornado

If it's not there then enter it.

Save the changes.

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Or use:
[General]
atc_type=SILENT
atc_model=Tornado

Which will make ATC say Tornado. I've nver heard real-life ATC say British Aerospace Tornado as most, if not all, pilots should know what a Tornado is!

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
neil
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by neil »

gents

you have been a massive help

thank you, i can honestly say you have helped me open a new door in my fs world....

paimting
ai
now callsigns...lol

what ever next... :lol: :lol: :lol: