The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

THE MACH LOOP

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
dk1213
Major
Major
Version: FSX

THE MACH LOOP

Post by dk1213 »

The Mach Loop is in my opinion the coolest fast jet low flying route in the world, I had a hard time trying to find it in my sim without a flight plan and I'm sharing mine here because it i the most accurate flightplan for LFA-7, (The Mach Loop) in Wales taking off from RAF Valley. For those of you who don't know the Mach Loop is a famous RAF low-level training route in an area of the Snowdonia National Park through a series of deep beautiful canyons, rolling mountains, and wide valleys and rivers in west-central Wales, and many squadrons in the RAF run their fast jets through the course, and people from all over the world go hang out on the peaks in Snowdonia to catch the fighter jets running the Mach Loop.

It is a very, very difficult route to complete correctly if you haven't practiced it alot, from what I read on the net you are supposed to maintain between 400-450kts, and hug the treetops and valley walls, while following this winding route in and out of canyons, whipping twists and turns the entire way through, it doesn't let up from when you drop in until you come back out, its really easy to get confused and commit to the wrong canyon and eat it. It is extremely easy to go too fast, or not fast enough, overturn or under correct, lose your sense of direction, or just muff it - point blank its easy to wreck on this route.

Forget the autopilot, it won't work on this route. Try it and you'll see what I mean. As a matter of fact at the moment I could only do it correctly once with a Tucano! I crashed every jet I took in there, I need more practice. Its tough to regulate the speed and maintain your situational awareness, but it is the coolest low level route in the world as long as it isn't cloudy or foggy. I definitely suggest taking a Tucano, PC-21, or a T-6 through it to start and learn the run. Then try it with a Hawk or an Alphajet, and go from there. Here is in my opinion the coolest video my buddy Morgan did with Tileproxy in FS9 running the Mach Loop and Snowdonia with a couple RAF Jags. I hope you guys enjoy all this as much as I do!!!! Click on the link below to download the flightplan VR-LFA-7_Mach Loop_Wales_UK.pln from my google drive.

http://simtube.com/video/3590/mach-loop

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-9ZMPo ... sp=sharing

Enjoy guys!

Dan
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Re: THE MACH LOOP

Post by DaleRFU »

I love flying the loop in the Hawk. This may help you

3220339778_d1ef954980_o by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

Yup thats the exact route of the flightplan available for download in my earlier post. I want to go there one day and see the RAF in action for myself!
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

I don't know if you know of a website called fightercontrol.com they often have pictures on there of what's gone through that day which may be of interest to you.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Firstly - thanks for the plan.

Go to Youtube and stick Mach Loop in the search - there's loads of clips of aircraft down and fast.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
delbydoo
Colonel
Colonel

Post by delbydoo »

Thanks for sharing these guys; I used to have a FS Nav flightplan for it, but lost it a few years ago now and haven't been able to find it again. This will help big time. Now, where'd I put that Hawk?
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Just looking for a plan after seeing some recent pics, thanks Dan for that and now time to wring out the Milviz F15E.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
halcon501

Post by halcon501 »

Thanks for sharing this flightplan, i´ve been trying to find for years
Regards, Tony
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Just gave it a go in my Epic LT at a blistering 180 - 200 knots. A tad difficult. Got to learn in in a slower A/C, think Storch.
Here are the only pics I managed first time through. (FSX) Didn't see any one else ! :wink:

EDIT : Made a little .bgl - slewed around the loop in the Storch and placed markers at a few of the turns. Flew it low & slow in the Storch. Now to up the speed. :)
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

No problem guys I knew it would be a hit. This is a difficult route though, still can't get through it with a jet .... got it with the Tucano though. Its just really hard to adjust stuff so quickly, and always pick the right canyon. From what I understand, you follow a roundabout of flowed valleys running counter-clockwise following the A470 north eastwards from Machynlleth in the south to Dinas Mawddwy then heading north west to join the A487 at the Cross Foxes Inn. From here it follows the A487 southwards through Corris to end back at Machynlleth. Ordnance Survey Explorer Map OL23 is recommended for anyone planning a visit .....
It is arguably the busiest part of the UK low fly system. 80+ flights a day during the cold war from several nations. If anyone wants, I attached some spotters I found for my flightplan to keep you on route and give you cool views for pics. I am glad it worked out for all you guys, it took me forever to find this stuff! Check out this clip:
http://simtube.com/video/3590/mach-loop
Attachments
mspg_mach_loop_spotters.zip
(102.9 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Watched a bunch of the videos on YouTube. Have progressed through the loop from in a very slow Storch (good for learning the visual cues) to a T-28 (a lot faster) to a T-45 Goshawk (a whole lot faster). I take off from RAF Valley enter from the river Afon Mawddach and make a few loops. Gotten good enough that I removed the 'corner markers', am able to recognize the scenery. I've pretty well mastered going through Cad west , Corris Corner and up through Bwich. In the T-45 though, I consistently extend the corner at Cemmeas Road for some reason. It's fun to practice flying skills on the Loop. Have even flown it once in an A-109 - you can go really low in a helo ! (Gonna look for some mesh for Wales and perhaps landclass. FSX has too many trees on the hillsides and not a single spectator or photographer ! :wink: )

Thanks for the original posts sparking the interest. A bit more fun than VOR to VOR boring holes in the sky.
dk1213
Major
Major

Post by dk1213 »

dude I attached spotters with chairs, cameras, and all that. Check it out! Where do I get some "corner markers"
-DAN KARSZNIA-

Military Aviation Addict
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

I used the corner markers from the 'red bull' .bgl that comes with Acceleration. Enlarged them x1.5.
Didn't see your file. :oops: Will d/l and wave next time by. :lol:
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

Imagine a C130 in The Loop. :-)
Kevin Jarvis

shomas
Cadet
Cadet

Post by shomas »

KevinJarvis wrote:Imagine a C130 in The Loop. :-)
Don't need to imagine, they are in there quite frequently!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W161wBS3XWw
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Time to bring this post back to life! The flight plan that you posted Dan, could this be turned into a flight plan for Ai? My thought is, to help practice the route by playing follow the leader, and Chase some Ai around the course?
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Woogey, you would have to use FSRecorder for that. I've been messing with FSX Mission Editor and Instant Mission maker to do just that on US based low level routes. Good thing is you get to fly the route twice!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris