The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Loring AFB in FSX

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Loring AFB in FSX

Post by campbeme »

Been goofing around with this very nice scenery by John for Loring AFB. Not looking bad at all in FSX.
About four and a half hours work here converting to FSX, but looking good so far.

Mark
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Re: Loring AFB in FSX

Post by Stewart Pearson »

You are a glutton for punishment mate.

Looks damned good though - just wish I had a rig that could do it justice.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Stewart Pearson wrote:You are a glutton for punishment mate.

Looks damned good though - just wish I had a rig that could do it justice.
Just trying to get creative again matey.
Mark
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Post by Stewart Pearson »

You're certainly doing that Mark.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

MODS I just realised I posted in a incorrect forum, would somebody please move my thread to the general FSX discussion forum please.
Mark
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

I just posted re Loring in FSX in the other forum - and wonder now if it should have been here!

Anyway your hard work paid off and screenies look great! Can you post or explain the mods needed to achieve this?

Thanks,

expat
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

expat wrote:I just posted re Loring in FSX in the other forum - and wonder now if it should have been here!

Anyway your hard work paid off and screenies look great! Can you post or explain the mods needed to achieve this?

Thanks,

expat
No you are correct, I posted in the wrong forum..lol I should now better too but thats another story.

Its a bit in depth but here you go:

1) Remove all VT** files from the scenery.
2) Load the AF2 into ADEX, add a remove autogen poly, add a new airport landclass, add a remove utilites poly, save and compile.
3) import the Loring scenery library into MCX, change all transparent objects to FSX format transparency, any objects that use decal textures need the Z-Bias adjusting to stop them flashing when converted to FSX code. Then compile the library into FSX native code.
4) Load up FSX

Voila

P.S If John the author chimes in and grants me permission I will upload it here.
Mark
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

P.S If John the author chimes in and grants me permission I will upload it here.
That would be cool. 8) I can probably do some but not all of this. He has been accommodating re doing this in the past.
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Does MCX take care of the FS9 trees, or do you have to remove them someway ?
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Joecoastie wrote:Does MCX take care of the FS9 trees, or do you have to remove them someway ?
Some convert better than others do, the ones in the picture of the tower are the same ones from the FS9 scenery all I did was tweek the transparency material properties with MCX and then compiled as FSX native code. If the trees still look crapy I usually replace them with orbx trees from some of there freeware sceneries for personal use.

The extra work with the conversion is worth it, I gained an extra 10fps from removing the FS9 code for FSX native. Also for people using P3D2, the scenery will now show up.
Mark
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Mark, that should be a thread "sticky", good info and something I have not bothered with until I was checking Clovis AFB, NM and noticed the hangar decals.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Mark;
I follow what you outlined on the how to FS9 to FSX. Steps 1 and 2 no problem. Step 3 - I understand what you are saying has to be done but after reading through the MCX manual I can appreciate what each (well not each but most) of what the commands do. What I am looking for is a basic tutorial. Very basic. To get started on using MCX. Like how to go from a FS9.bgl to a .mdl(?) to a FSX.bgl. After I understand how to do that I should be able to advance. Is there any such ? Then again maybe I've reached all that I can comprehend with my 70 YO brain.
I have quite a few FS9 scenery that could use step3.
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Joecoastie wrote:Mark;
I follow what you outlined on the how to FS9 to FSX. Steps 1 and 2 no problem. Step 3 - I understand what you are saying has to be done but after reading through the MCX manual I can appreciate what each (well not each but most) of what the commands do. What I am looking for is a basic tutorial. Very basic. To get started on using MCX. Like how to go from a FS9.bgl to a .mdl(?) to a FSX.bgl. After I understand how to do that I should be able to advance. Is there any such ? Then again maybe I've reached all that I can comprehend with my 70 YO brain.
I have quite a few FS9 scenery that could use step3.
Well actually once you know what your doing step 3 will be the easy bit. I will try and write some standard operations to get you guys started......Im leaning on the word try though not long moved house and really busy. :D
Mark
campbeme
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by campbeme »

Victory103 wrote:Mark, that should be a thread "sticky", good info and something I have not bothered with until I was checking Clovis AFB, NM and noticed the hangar decals.
For those flashing decals I use a Z-bias value of 20 to stop them fitting. Only add the Z-Bias to the texture containing the decal.
Mark
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

I realize this thread is a bit old, but here goes anyway. Has anybody had success installing John Stinstrom's FS9 Loring AFB in FSX? I've installed the scenery in FSX with no problem and looks great, however I can't get aircraft to appear at the base and believe the issue is duplicate AFCAD's. The scenery was installed using the instructions above and the instructions in the "How to convert MAIW packages to FSX/P3D" document. The radius and wingspans all check out and there are no FS9 flight plans in the system. Within John's Loring scenery file there is a .bgl file AF2_ME16_Default_Removed. I am assuming this file is there to exclude the FSX default scenery ME16 which is Loring International Airport. If that is the case, I can't figure out how to get this AF2 file to work in FSX. The default airport has an ICAO code of ME16 and Loring AFB has an ICAO code of KLIZ. Again, I'm assuming that the different ICAO codes are the source of the problem, not being able to exclude or supress the default airport ME16. I've converted the Default_Removed.bgl to an ADE file, but that was ineffective. I've viewed posts on the Scruffy Duck website and haven't found instructions that might help. I don't want to delete the default airport because this could have consequences beyond Loring, like deleting other default airports. Is there a way to convert John's Default_Removed file and get it to work in FSX? If somebody could point me in the right direction, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Paul
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by geoffj »

Paul,

I don't think that you can simply convert the AF2_ME16_Default_Removed.bgl file because it was created for FS9, I believe you would need to create one for the FSX stock ME16 airport. The following articles should help:

https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com ... port-ident

https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com ... l-id=20268

What you should end up with is a stock ME16, a Default_Removed file which has as much of the stock airport content removed as is possible and which will suppress the stock airport, and your new KLIZ file.

I am no expert so you could also ask your question on the FS Developer and ScruffyDuck forums where expert advise will be available.

cheers,

Geoff
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Looks promising Geoff, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Paul
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Paul, I don't know which era you are setting up for Loring, but I did provide an FSX version of the base from John's airfield in my B-36 package:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... rs-for-fsx

John
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Thanks John, I'll give it a look. I'm looking at the 1990 time period, just before the base closure. I'm looking for good enough, not perfect. Appreciate your help.

Paul
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

I have a set of flightplans for 1990, consisting of 17 B-52G_1990_57-6478 42BW Loring AFB 1990's and 31MAIW_KC-135A_56-3598 42BW wo Loring AFB 1990. They are working for me so if you want them drop me a PM with an email address and I will send them.

Regards Paul Day.