The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Prepar3D v2.4 PC Hardware Setup?

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Prepar3D v2.4 PC Hardware Setup?

Post by mikewmac »

I'm considering purchasing LM's Prepar3D v2.4 and am curious as what some of you who are currently using it successfully have for a PC hardware setup.

My flight sim PC has a I7 2600K CPU overclocked to 4.5 GHz and all my flight sims are on a separate SSD from my Win7 Pro OS, but I'm concerned whether my Radeon 6950 graphics card with 2 Gb of DDR5 memory has the horsepower to run Prepar3D smoothly. It works fine for FSX, but FSX doesn't place as much of a burden on the GPU.

Thanks,
    Mike M.
    Don H
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Re: Prepar3D v2.4 PC Hardware Setup?

Post by Don H »

Mike,

If your system runs FSX well, I would say go ahead get P3Dv2.4. You can always upgrade just the video card if necessary.

Is your card DX11 capable? That is one of the big improvements. If it is not, while it can still run 2.4, you won't see all the improvements.

Good luck. I run 2.4 almost exclusively now, when I get a chance to. Still setting it up, but the improvement is huge. And, it is so much smoother, even when bogged down to 5-6 FPS. (Something in Las Vegas did that to me. Haven't had a chance to go back & figure out what, yet.)
    Don H
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Don H wrote:Mike,

If your system runs FSX well, I would say go ahead get P3Dv2.4. You can always upgrade just the video card if necessary.

Is your card DX11 capable? That is one of the big improvements. If it is not, while it can still run 2.4, you won't see all the improvements.

Good luck. I run 2.4 almost exclusively now, when I get a chance to. Still setting it up, but the improvement is huge. And, it is so much smoother, even when bogged down to 5-6 FPS. (Something in Las Vegas did that to me. Haven't had a chance to go back & figure out what, yet.)
    Thanks Don,

I bit the bullet and replaced my 128 Gb SSD dedicated to flight sims with a cloned 512 Gb one and replaced my video card with an MSI GTX Gaming 4G one. I downloaded Prepar3d v2.4 yesterday and will install it today now that I have plenty of free space on my flight sim SSD. :D
      Mike M.
      John Young
      MAIW Developer
      MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I purchased P3D this morning and so far I'm singularly unimpressed.

Just one question for the moment. If you try and slew with a joystick, like an X-52, does it work?

I can fly with my joystick in P3D and the hat switches work in slew mode, but I can't slew forward, backwards, sideways or rotate. I can do that smoothly with FS9, FSX and FSX Steam. I've recalibrated the stick and also tried different null value settings. No joy.

Does it work for others please?

John
      mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

John Young wrote:I purchased P3D this morning and so far I'm singularly unimpressed.

Just one question for the moment. If you try and slew with a joystick, like an X-52, does it work?

I can fly with my joystick in P3D and the hat switches work in slew mode, but I can't slew forward, backwards, sideways or rotate. I can do that smoothly with FS9, FSX and FSX Steam. I've recalibrated the stick and also tried different null value settings. No joy.

Does it work for others please?

John
      John,

My HOTAS Cougar joystick controls slewing forward, backward and sideways, but I use the numpad keys for rotation.

BTW....I took Orbx BOB for a walk around your ACG IWM Duxford yesterday and really enjoyed the airshow. :D
        Mike M.
        John Young
        MAIW Developer
        MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mike. That gives me hope.

The Duxford air show collection was my first attempt at AI. If it hadn't of been for the static Hurricane on the pole by the gate that I built first, I don't think I would have bitten the bullet. Having built the Hurricane, I wanted to go one step further and make an aircraft fly. The Duxford Rapide followed and that sprouted AI wings. I was amazed when it came back and landed. I was hooked from then on.

John

PS: just solved the joystick problem. The axis values are not pre-assigned in slew mode as they are in FSX. Having now done that I have slew on the joystick in all horizontal directions, including rotation. Just got to sort the graphics now.