The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

ERROR with Newly updated F-16 Conversion Package Version 1.1

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

ERROR with Newly updated F-16 Conversion Package Version 1.1

Post by Woogey »

Hello Gentlemen,

When trying to unzip the new F-16 package, its gets stuck at the "F-16C Drag Chute AGM-65 closed canopy.mdl" and states that an unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If I skip that file, also get the Error on the "Air, Clean, Fuel, JDAM, MK84, and Normal" Closed Canopy versions of the Drag Chute F-16C. Also the F-16D Drag Chute Closed Canopy all versions Error. I tried to download from both Google Drive and MAIW thinking maybe one of the links had a corrupt file, but they are the same. Please advise.

-Woog
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: ERROR with Newly updated F-16 Conversion Package Version 1.1

Post by Firebird »

What is the complete path name of the folder are you trying to unzip the whole package to?
Steve
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Sorry Steve, I have left for work already. Generally though, I will cut the .zip folder from downloads, and paste it to my FS ADDONS drive. This would be E: P3D4 Addons———>Ai———>HTAI General Dynamics F-16....... I drop the .zip in the Ai folder, then extract it in place, after which I typically delete the .Zip folder.

-Woog
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK so when you extract it you use the builtin windows zip management and right click and 'extract here', is that correct?

On my E: drive I mirrored your situation. I created folders and placed the zip in E:\P3D4 Addons\AI. It unzipped perfectly OK. I even went to see if I could copy the unzipped file.
The full file path was :-
E:\P3D4 Addons\AI\MAIW HTAI General Dynamics F-16 Family - FSX Pack-1 V.1.1\SimObjects\MAIW HTAI Lockheed Martin F-16C Drag Chute (FSX)\model.agm65_cc\AI Lockheed F-16C Drag Chute AGM-65 fsx closed canopy.mdl

Over 200 characters. The limit for the windows api is 260 so it is inside that.

I even tried extracting to the named folder suggested by Windows and that added over another 50 characters the path became:-
The full file path was :-
E:\P3D4 Addons\AI\MAIW HTAI General Dynamics F-16 Family - FSX Pack-1 V.1.1\MAIW HTAI General Dynamics F-16 Family - FSX Pack-1 V.1.1\SimObjects\MAIW HTAI Lockheed Martin F-16C Drag Chute (FSX)\model.agm65_cc\AI Lockheed F-16C Drag Chute AGM-65 fsx closed canopy.mdl

Which is stupidly long and breaks the MAX PATH parameter, but I was able to both unzip it and copy it successfully.

Now therefore I conclude one of two things is likely here. Either you are not using the default windows zip function, or you are not using Windows 10.

Are either or both these things correct?
Steve
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Wow, thank you Steve for your hard work to investigate this issue. This is strange! I use WIN 10 Pro, and am using the default windows extraction tool, the only other variable I can think of is that I used Google Chrome as my browser.

I have never had any issue using these methods before, which includes the previous F-16 conversion package. The important models for my bases are fine, so I could just live with it..........I guess.

-Woog
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is weird. I felt sure you would say that you weren't on Win10, as I read that the MAX PATH can be avoided in Win 10.
Tip Starting in Windows 10, version 1607, MAX_PATH limitations have been removed from common Win32 file and directory functions. However, you must opt-in to the new behavior.

A registry key allows you to enable or disable the new long path behavior. To enable long path behavior set the registry key at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem LongPathsEnabled (Type: REG_DWORD)

It might be worth seeing if you have that set. However I checked on my system and it is not set.
If you are using a non-MS browser then download and try it with the portable version of Firefox. That is what I use and then you will be replicating my test exactly.

Although in truth I can't believe that Chrome could be causing this.
Steve
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Yeah Steve it is very odd. Like I said I have been using Chrome for years, and every single one of my MAIW downloads have been previously successful with my current set of Software.

-Woog
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Maybe try a dedicated zip programm? There are several free around like e. g. 7-Zip

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

For what it is worth I used Chrome and 7-Zip with Windows 7 Pro and had no problems downloading, unzipping and installing the MAIW Flightplans V.1.0 package. Of course I had to change a few things relative to my personal VT ANG KBTV setup, but I now have a lot of HTAI F-16C/D's flying out of Luke and Eglin along with the new JYAI F-35A's in P3D v4.2. :smt023
    Mike M.