The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Modification of Orbx scenery.

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Modification of Orbx scenery.

Post by col1948 »

This may be of interest to some who have Orbx scenery installed:

I recently asked on the Orbx support forum if I altered and airport would it effect the scenery.

Now bear in mind this was on the support form:
I was asked what airport I had a problem with, I said it was EGNR Hawarden, I thought if I changed the AFCAD to make the taxi route better as the one now isn't that good, I was then told seeing as I had England and Wales scenery to disable the Wales EGNR as the England one was better.
Then I was told if I did any changes to the scenery I would be disqualified for any further Orbx support.
I replied as this was odd seeing as I was on the support forum and advised to change/disable some scenery yet if I did I would be disqualified, so what do I do, leave the two afcads in conflict and be disqualified from support?
The reply was I would be disqualified from and Wales scenery support but would be OK any other I had installed.

So Orbx knows there is a conflict in the scenery yet to fix it you would be disqualified from any further support, yet they advise you to do it.

Col.
jason99vmi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Modification of Orbx scenery.

Post by jason99vmi »

When they say disable scenery they mean just adding the extension ".off" to turn off the scenery so the ENG region scenery is used not the FTX Global. Actually have to do this a lot with UK2000 scenery and FTX ENG.

But yes if you change taxiways via ADEX or something then you lose their support since you are altering the original file. Kind of like if you added a gauge to a payware aircraft and then something went awry. Well the dev would say thats on you and can't help you via support.

Just make backups of your AFCADs so you can always go back.
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I may have it wrong but these are the two replies he sent me:

Hello,

Since you have England and Wales, I must assume that like me, you have a version of EGNR in both and that

they conflict with each other.

I suppose that you should disable one of them, the England one seems the best option, then open the other in ADE,

import the objects bgl and delete the static aircraft.

Recompile and replace the Orbx files but you will disqualify yourself from support for your modification.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

there is no support for your modification.

This does not mean that you are disqualified from support for everything,

just for the items that you have interfered with.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That makes sense. You can't offer support on something that somebody has altered.

What I would do in your specific case is see which one has the best taxiway for you, then disable the other one.

What you don't say is what is inaccurate about the current taxiway configuration.
Are you sure it is inaccurate? I have seen quite a few airfields where the obvious taxi route is not used and most often it is because the area has not been maintained to allow it to be used for aircraft movement.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve,

First I asked because I am also using Air Hauler, not sure if you are familiar with that program, but in that program I'm using EGNR as my home base for doing cargo runs.
Now when I was using FS9 I once modified EGNR to give it more parking plus I altered the taxi routes to make it more flexible and efficient.
EGNR now in FSX the ai aircraft join the runway part way then back track to the start, also the taxi route they take is long winded instead of a more direct shorter route.

I mentioned this in my question asking if I altered the AFCAD plus they have a lot of static aircraft that I would also like to remove and would it effect the Orbx scenery, so you saw the replies I got above.

On the issue of static aircraft I asked on another thread how to remove them from other scenery, they wanted screenshots of the statics, which I thought was a bit strange seeing as they added them, surely they know they are there so why ask for proof in screenshots?

Any way I understand what you said about them offering support on something altered, but my question to them was they advised me to alter the scenery then told me if I did I wouldn't get further support, so like I said above, they know there is a conflict but to rectify it I lose support, so do I leave it as it is then, by the way I can live with it, it was just me trying to make it better for myself.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well its like most things like this, including MAIW. If you fanny about with things then you can't reasonably expect anybody to get you out of a situation.
If you want to alter something, back it up first. Then you can always go back to the vanilla installation.

It sounds a bit strange to have the statics as part of the afcad but that could actually help you.
Firstly the mdls have to be part of a lib, so find that lib.

Once you have found it and made ADE aware of it, you can then load it up in ADE and simply remove the ones you don't want.
If they use ADE and create a separate afcad and object bgls then open the airport from bgl and then import the objects using the Import Bgl function.

Two things here are critical. Disable one of the EGNRs, then find the atatic aircraft lib and make it known to ADE.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve,
Sorry for late reply, I got it sorted now, I found the file that has the statics, it also has a few other things in it but I can live without them, but it cured the problem, no statics anywhere even on other airfields.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Glad it is sorted.
Steve