The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Vance AFB trouble

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Vance AFB trouble

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, just installed the Vance AFB T-6 re-paints by Jason Rogers. During my over-flight of the base I noticed that only about 12 of the 100 plus aircraft showed up. This was strange because nearly all of the T-1's show up regularly. I also noticed that all of the aircraft that did show up were parked at parking spots that have exhaust stains on them. The vast majority of the ramp has parking spots that do not have exhaust stains on them. I was wondering if maybe the vast majority of these parking spots are, "locked", so-to-speak, and have to be "un-locked" in order for the T-6's to show up? I have my traffic slider on 80% Any and all help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Vance AFB trouble

Post by Firebird »

What is the name of your afcad file for Vance?

Also one of the easiest tests is to put the slider at 100% that will show you the true max number of aircraft and will eliminate the slider percentage as an issue.

I took a look at the afcad on my system and there is well over 80 T6 designated slots before I stopped counting.
Steve
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

I slid the traffic slider up to 100% and still get the same amount of traffic on the ramp. The only thing I have on is what came with the T-1 package.
Attachments
South end of ramp.jpg
Center of ramp lots of parking.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I loaded up Vance and found dozens of T-6s there, even though I was using an older afcad.

I then ensured that I was using the MAIW_AF2_KEND_DEFAULT.BGL from the T-1 package and the exclude that came with it and again I had dozens of T-6s.

So I can definitely say that they appear no problem.
Now I thought it might be a missing model, but they all use the same one so that is not it. The parking spots they use are bigger then their own spots but they appear no problem for me so that can't be the issue.

The only things that quickly come to mind is that eother you have altered the size of the mdl or that you are using FSX?

Is either of these things true?
Steve
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

yes, I am an FSX user.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well as the base system for MAIW, at the moment, is still FS9 and you have set your version set as FS9 we kinda assume that you are talking about FS9.
To solve problems we really need to know all the facts.

Any way, the problem is well known. You are using an FS9 afcad in FSX without converting it to FSX usage.

One of the differences is that the size of a model is hard coded into the mdl for FS9. FSX ignores this and uses the wingspan from the aircraft.cfg which causes problems with fdes that are designed for FS9 (i.e. most of them).

What you have to do is download and instal Martins AI Aircraft Editor.NET from our Tools download section, if you don't already use it.
One of its features is that it will tell you the parking spot size needed by the model in whichever sim you use.
For FSX the spot size required for the T-6 is 50% bigger, therefore every afcad that needs to include T-6 parking needs to be made bigger.

In case you were thinking of asking about just altering the wingspan, the answer is don't. You will significantly alter the performance of the plane.
You need to alter the parking slot size.

What made me think that you were probably an FSX user was that most parking spots were 7.62m, above the size needed for FS9 but below the size for FSX. The slots that you saw parking in are mostly 12,2m, well above the size needed for FSX.

I hope this helps you.
Steve
lancer27
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lancer27 »

Hi, sorry for the delay...I was working on Vance. I downloaded AI Aircraft editor and did discover that the parking spots were too small for the aircraft. Since altering the wingspan is not an option I guessed I would have to alter the parking lot sizes. I remember somewhere on the website or in the forums that ADE could do this so I hesitantly downloaded it as well, (I say hesitantly because I have never used anything to alter anything before and I do not wish to mess anything up). I read the manual from start to finish a few times and watched a few Youtube videos about ADE, installed it, started in on Vance and.....Viola!!! It worked!!! The airplanes showed up on the parking spots...tons of them!! I just want to thank you for all the help you provided. From this experience I have a new found appreciation for all the work that goes into making a package. I mean I just altered the parking spots and it took me Several hours.. but in thinking about the aircraft, textures, scenery, AI flight plans, etc... I had No idea of the amount of work that is involved! My hat goes off to all involved in the process so that the rest of us can enjoy more realism in our hobby. Please keep up the very fine work sirs.
Attachments
Vance ramp afterwards.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Its nice when a problem gets fixed, but it is even nicer when the user learns something new about the hobby at the same time.

Now you have a potential fix for FSX issues using those two tools, and I am sure that over time you will learn more of their capabilities. Well done.
Steve