The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

AI Formations

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Lonewolfee1
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

AI Formations

Post by Lonewolfee1 »

Is there a way to start AI planes in the air? Asking specifically for files that I have that are AI formations.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: AI Formations

Post by Firebird »

Normally I would answer a question but I am not 100% certain on formations.
What I do know is that in the past we have used welded models to create formations and they never take off or land from bases, as they don't have gear.

What I am not sure about is other factors that you need to consider plus the limitations of doing that.
Steve
Lonewolfee1
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lonewolfee1 »

I downloaded the formations from Flight Replicas site. I use AI Flight Planner to program my flights but that tool seems to require everything start from a parking spot at an airfield - and for the formations that just doesn't work. Didn't know if there was any other way to program AI flights that could start at altitude etc. I'm new to messing with AI so just looking for info. Thanks.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK then the answer is no, you have to start from an airfield. However, if you look at our flypasts you will see that they start at what we call waypoints. These are fictitious airfields that are only a point in the sky with a very small runway.

To you they are not airfields but to AIFP they are airfields. The key thing as well is that it is not a case of having a simple waypoint to waypoint flightplan. It takes time to get all the aircraft formed up UNLESS they are several aircraft welded together. Have a look at the flightplans for any of our packages that contain airshows or flypasts and you will see how complicated they can be.

I took a quick look at the Flight Replicas site and all their packages contain instructions, so ar you trying to mod theirs or creat your own?
Steve
Lonewolfee1
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lonewolfee1 »

Their packages say they are one aircraft that look like several. The instructions they provide on how to use are:

There are many ways to use the formation, but here are three methods: (Only showing the first as it pertains to AI Flight)

1. Write an AI flight plan, so that the formation will fly a specific route.

As you know it's a little more in depth than just "writing a flight plan" and gives the user no real info on how to set one up using a formation. Their other methods do not interest me for what I am trying to do.

I did try what said above about the small airfield waypoints. I will have a look at a plan and see how it is written.
MARTE04
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by MARTE04 »

Take a look to this software.

have a nice day!!
Lonewolfee1
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lonewolfee1 »

That's really cool but it doesn't teach me what I want to learn.
leuen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by leuen »

Firebird wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 06:48 Have a look at the flightplans for any of our packages that contain airshows or flypasts and you will see how complicated they can be.

It needs some time to create such flights and adapt ADE, but not that complicated.

Bernard
jlunddk
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by jlunddk »

I've noticed there's a "Traffic_MAIW_USAF_Thunderbirds_FSX.bgl" in the Matrix NA package. How do I get to see them fly, and will they fly in formation?

Jlund
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

They are part of the original Nellis package. If you are using FSX, as your version seems to indicate, then that should be good enough once any standard FS9-FSX has been done.

If however you are on P3D, and have forgotten about changing your version in your profile, then you need the F-16 conversion pack installed and then they will automatically appear. They will only appear at Nellis.
Steve
jlunddk
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jlunddk »

Sorry, I had forgotten to change my version from FSX to P3D, but that should be fixed now.
Why do I need the conversion package installed, I already see all kind of F-16's incl. Thunderbirds at Nellis. Just haven't seen them fly yet. Guess I'll have to study their flightplans in AIFP to see when they're supposed to take off.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It sounds like you already have the family installed.
If you are sure that you haven't then search for the 'MAIW HTAI F-16 Family Conversion' in the downloads section and see what the benefits are for the P3D user.

You are correct about checking the flightplans. This is the only way you will find out when they fly.
Steve
jlunddk
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jlunddk »

I have the converted F-16's so that's all good.
Thanks for the help.

Jorn L.