The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX-SE Transparency Issue

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Delboy99
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

FSX-SE Transparency Issue

Post by Delboy99 »

Hi all

After a lay off from FS after replacing my PC, I decided to install FSX Steam Edition.

After installing Manschy's Bruggen as a home for Johns superb Tornados, I noticed a problem with various transparent objects, mainly trees, but also ramp lights, antennas, anything with a transparent texture. The transparent protoon of the texture seems to make any objects behind transparent. I installed A_genX Trees, which use the default autogen tree textures, with the same result. I also created my own trees using the same texture, again the same. I have checked the textures and alpha channels in DXTBMP and they look normal.

Is this a know problem with FSX-SE or is there a fix for this. I have tried fiddling with the FS display settings and also my graphics card settings, although I don't really know what I am doing with them. I have tried looking in the usual places, Avsim, FS developer, Flight sim .com, and although there are several mentions of FSX texture problems, not this one and no fixes.

Any help in fixing this would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Del

ImageTrees 1

ImageTrees 2

ImageTrees 3

ImageAgen_X_Trees
Dave YVR ATC
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: FSX-SE Transparency Issue

Post by Dave YVR ATC »

Any chance you are running with DX10 preview mode enabled?
Windows10 Home
Intel i7 8700K at 5ghz
32gb G.Skill DDR4/3200
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti SC
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Manfred I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may have his FS9 Bruggen installed Del. That would certainly account for the transparency issues. Manfred hasn't produced an FSX version I believe, but he is definitely working on one for P3Dv4. I know some people have managed to convert his FS9 scenery for FSX, so perhaps one of those users could help you out with replacement files.

John
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

Thanks for your replies

I have DX10 preview mode turned off. This has caused other problems with textures.

It is the FS9 version of Manshy's Bruggen I have installed. I thought I had installed other FS9 scenery without any issues, maybe not. I guess this is a consequence of running FS9 scenery in FSX. Now to work out if I can convert the scenery to FSX and see if that will solve the problem.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Try the following for transparency issues (after you took a backup of the original file):
  1. Load the tree objects bgl file into MCX
  2. Open the Material Editor.
  3. At the top of the ME you have two selection boxes. Set the large one to "Set Default Transparent". Set the smaller one to the right to "FSX" in your case.
  4. Click "Apply".
  5. Repeat for every model with transparency issues.
  6. Export the scenery as an FSX bgl.
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

Thanks for that Greg. That worked perfectly, I now have Bruggen looking as it should, for my own use only of course.

Cheers
Del