The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

F 18 Hornets not loading properly

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Hornetjock
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

F 18 Hornets not loading properly

Post by Hornetjock »

Just back after total re-build of computer. Loaded installer - global and Williamtown fighter base. Tried to load the F 18 Hornets and this message is appearing in P3DV4...

There are multiple objects with the same title name. They must have unique title names." Then it lists the Hornets in SimObjects\Airplanes\MAIW_GAI NBAI FA-18A RAAF WILLIAMTOWN ...and each one has to be clicked "closed" in turn for the Hornets to load and P3D to run.

Any help on this please?
Attachments
P3D Message Hornets.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: F 18 Hornets not loading properly

Post by Firebird »

One thing thing that strikes me here is that you have dupes. As you have totally rebuilt everything can I ask if you used the Matrix or if you loaded the Hornets manually, or even both?
Steve
Hornetjock
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hornetjock »

Thanks Steve...yes used the Matrix, but in my enthusiasm could have loaded them twice. I remember being disappointed that they didn't show up first flight. Not sure how to correct it though as the "inner workings" are a mystery to me. Any help appreciated.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well the good thing with the Matrix is that you can install and uninstall at your leisure so that would normally be the thing to try.

However.

Now a good thing about the Matrix is that you do not need to place the pieces in your P3D installation folder, in fact it is specified that it is better that you don't - in case you have an issue with P3D and need to re-install as you won't lose everything else.
The fact that you mentioned the simobjects folder seems to indicate that you manually loaded those planes there.

The reason i say this is that in my test installation I just set the location to 'F:\MATRIX\Military AI Works' and installed there.

Now what happens is that no simobjects folder was created, and there were no folders with 'WilliamTown' in the name.
This leads me to conclude that you manually installed the F-18s there earlier and possibly restored them.

The simplest solution is to remove those Oz F-18 folders to somewhere else on your system and try again. I think that you will probably be OK.
In a nutshell if you are going to use the Matrix you must make sure that you have not already installed components inside the game.

Does this ring true?
Steve
Hornetjock
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hornetjock »

Yes it does...

I just went through the P3D files carefully looking for dupes and there seems to be a folder under SimOjects\Airplanes - with the Hornets along with everything else...and another SimObjects folder in the same location, guess what? only containing RAAF Hornets. I think this is the "dupe" you spoke of. Would I be correct in deleting that second folder SimObjects (which only contains Hornets?)
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes indeed. It maybe that you also added that other simobjects folder to the FSX.cfg so that it knows to check there, which is how it found them, so you will need to delete that line from there.
You should left with only the original simobjects entry in the FSX.cfg .

Once that is done, you are free to delete that folder or if you want to be ultra safe move it somewhere else so that you can ensure that there are no extra schemes in there that you want to keep - before final deletion.

Then you will be good to go with no issues or wasted space.

If you want to be ultra clean then look in the location that you have installed the Matrix downloads and check those aircraft folders against those in either of your simobjects folders.
If there are dupes, even if they are not named exactly the same then you can delete them. Remember the error was not on the folder names but the fltsim entry names in the cfg files within those folders.
Steve
Hornetjock
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hornetjock »

Ok thanks guys...I am getting there. Now they only exist in two places (one of them is wrong). They exist in MAIW SimObjects and also P3D SimObjects\Airplanes. Does one of them have to go also?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes, otherwise you will still have dupes.
If the aircraft are in your'\MAIW_OCEANIA\MAIW_OCEANIA_AIRCRAFT' folder then the exact named aircraft can't be anywhere else in the folders named in your FSX.cfg file.

Simply put why would you have dupes? Even if the names are different between those two folders but they are representing the same aircraft/schemes then get rid of the ones in the simobjects folder.

Some people may think wants the point, but if in the future the F/A-18s are replaced by F-35s in the Matrix then other ones are still going to be there and if they are in a traffic file they will show up.
It is best to clear them out now UNLESS you want and enjoy retro traffic. However, make copies of the folders and traffic files at that point in time to avoid having dupes.
Steve
Hornetjock
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hornetjock »

Thanks again Steve...I will study your advice carefully and see if I can get P3D to run without 53 separate clicks!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

One big warning. One cannot use Matrix plus the stand-alone packages in parallel.

This will always result in duplicates.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hornetjock »

Thanks Steve, Martin. Sorry to be a pain - but this has to be right.

Steve says..."Simply put why would you have dupes? Even if the names are different between those two folders but they are representing the same aircraft/schemes then get rid of the ones in the simobjects folder."

Get rid of the ones in the SimObjects folder - but which one? The SimObjects folder in Matrix or the one in P3D?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

This is what I didn't really understand. When i loaded the Oceania region using the Matrix I set my path to 'F:\MATRIX\Military AI Works\'

When i installed the region it created 4 sub-folders :-
MAIW_OCEANIA_AIRBASES
MAIW_OCEANIA_AIRCRAFT
MAIW_OCEANIA_OBJECTS
MAIW_OCEANIA_WORLD

Inside the MAIW_OCEANIA_AIRCRAFT folder there is no simobjects folder, only individual aircraft folders. This is how I knew what had happened.

If you are in any confusion whatsoever this is what I would suggest.
1. Save the F-18 aircraft folders in the P3D simobjects folder to a safe place.
2. Delete those F-18 folders.
3. Uninstall Matrix completely.
You should now have no Oz F-18s and no Matrix simobjects folder (if there is one delete it unless there is stuff in there other than F-18s).
4. Re-install Matrix setting the installation folder to somewhere outside of the P3D structure.
5. Re-install the Global Libraries.
6. Re-install the Oceania Region.
You should now have F-18 traffic with no dupes.
7. Re-install any other regions you want.
8. dlete the saved F-18 folders once you are happy that nothing is missing.

So you clean out everything connected with Oz F-18s and start fresh.
It is one of the good things about Matrix. It is a lot easier and less labour intensive that doing anything manually.

Does this clear it up?
Steve
Hornetjock
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hornetjock »

Thanks Steve for your patience. I saw that the F 18's existed in Oceania once I re-read your message, so I removed the duplicate SimObjects in BOTH MAIW and P3D. That cleared it up and P3D is operating again AND the Hornets are still in place. So I didn't have to uninstall/re-install, although I did do that for Oceania only just to clean it out, plus I deleted any saved flights from Williantown and re-created one to try it in P3D. Perfect.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well at the end of it you now understand a bit more about the structure of P3D and of the Matrix so it was not in vain.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Just for future reference: never add anything to the Matrix folders if you can avoid it. Chances are I'm going to delete your stuff in there sooner or later...