The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Native FSX/P3D TA-4J

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Native FSX/P3D TA-4J

Post by delta_lima »

So I'd like to do a little retro AI for NAS Pensacola set in the 70s.

Since I'm aware of no T-2 that's suitable for AI, and having done something similar way back in the day with the Mike Pearson/Nick Black Skyhawks, am wondering if in their current state (as downloaded here), how these AI models would present in P3Dv4.

If folks know they're completely unusable, I might attempt my first P3D conversion beforehand, but I thought I'd ask beforehand, in case someone's already got something in the works. For example, knowing there's an MAIW FSX/P3D Top Gun in the works makes me believe there's likely a converted Super Echo model floating around somewhere, and therefore, possibly a two-seat TA-4.

Not requesting anything custom per se, just seeing if there's already the model in native FSX/P3D with which to begin. If the results are any good, am happy to share here, and with due credit to the references/assistance I might get along the way.

With the FSX version of the Stinstrom NAS Pensacola, and the currently available RAZBAM T-2 that looks and flies gorgeously in both FSX and P3D, and with Dino Cattaneo working on a P3D flyable TA-4J, my assumption is there might be some uptake on a retro package of focusing on the advanced jet trainer syllabus.

Any help or pointers would be most appreciated.

cheers,

dl
Quaere verum - Seek truth
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Native FSX/P3D TA-4J

Post by hschuit »

DL, I have converted 2 Scooter packs for FSX/P3Dv4, they are in the quality check/release queue:

Pack 1 - IAF, RNZAF, defence contractors (101 model variations !):
- MAIW A-4N, TA-4H/J IAF part 2 - Hatzerim (Michael Pearson)
- MAIW A-4E/H/N, TA-4E/F/H IAF (Michael Pearson)
- NMAI A-4K/Kahu, TA-4K RNZAF (Michael Pearson)
- NMAI A-4Kahu/N Draken International (Mark Tranquil Beale)
- NMAI A-4N Discovery Air (Rick Ingham)

Pack 2 - USN/USMC ( 61 model variations):
- NBAI A-4F Miramar Topgun + Blue Angels
- NMAI A-4 USN-USMC part 1, 2, 3, 4

You will need some patience, the quality check/release is a lot of work and the Scooters come after many other packs in the queue.

Henk.
Attachments
NMAI_Skyhawks.jpg
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Arrggh ... that screenshot is killing me .... so close, yet so far ... :)

Joking aside, thanks for the reply Henk, I'm thrilled it's in the queue, and with with so many models in the two packs, a lot of folks will be made very happy.

I'll piddle about refreshing my AI traffic skills with what's currently available as I wait for pack 2 to arrive. The USN/USMC Phantoms pack will keep me busy for a while, and be pleasant company when I'm flying the SWS F-4N.

Thanks for all the hard work you and the team have put in.

dl
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Great WIP shots Henk, I didn't know these were getting worked on. I assumed most of the retro models would eventually, like the NMAI F-4s, but way down on the list.

dl, while not doing a retro P-cola, I do have the same set up in P3Dv4, with JS scenery and a mix of the MAIW scenery over MSE Florida photoreal. One of the best AI spotting locations with so many bases along the gulf coast.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Victory103 wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 18:42 Great WIP shots Henk, I didn't know these were getting worked on. I assumed most of the retro models would eventually, like the NMAI F-4s, but way down on the list.

dl, while not doing a retro P-cola, I do have the same set up in P3Dv4, with JS scenery and a mix of the MAIW scenery over MSE Florida photoreal. One of the best AI spotting locations with so many bases along the gulf coast.
Agreed.

FL is indeed geographically a treasure trove.

Additionally, as a 60s era nutter I’ve had in FSX one of the crown jewels - a limited distribution package featuring Cape Canaveral’s NASA installation with many of the “missile row” launch complexes, Mercury related support vehicles, etc. all beautifully modelled by a talented artist from Calclassics.

I had added some additional period AI to enhance it, so am hoping that will all convert nicely from FSX to P3D.

I should point out as big “thanks” - that the Matrix concept was a significant motivator in making aforementioned switch in sim platforms. It’ll require some tweaking on my part to create AI iterations based on “period” aircraft that roughly reflect the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Beyond that, even with period aircraft, they present as an unattractive anachronism, building wise. Which by the way, is why the retro SAC bases and retro Top Gun are so much appreciated, in that both aircraft and scenery are aligned nicely.

But the Matrix provides enough of the building blocks to enable a good part of my “aberrant AI” ideas to come to life, so thanks again.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Martin has been nagging about a retro option in Matrix ever since version 1.0.0, so he'll be glad to find a friend in you :D

It's not something I'm actively working on at the moment, but it's on my wishful-thinking-list.
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Greg wrote: 06 Jul 2019, 16:16 Martin has been nagging about a retro option in Matrix ever since version 1.0.0, so he'll be glad to find a friend in you :D

It's not something I'm actively working on at the moment, but it's on my wishful-thinking-list.
Thanks Greg! The complexity of Matrix, with it single "point in time" ecosystem, already boggles my mind, so I can only imagine the exponential effort and complexity of offering even a couple other FS "epochs".

If ever that idea comes becomes more seriously considered, feel free to reach out to me for ideas or perspectives, as that's where my head is more often than not. For now, I'm happy to pick away at a few pockets of yesteryear with what LEGO pieces I can find. Between JY's, Calclassics, and a few MAIW releases, I'm able to achieve a good bit of what I want, so life's good.

thanks,

dl