The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

AI AH-64 question

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

AI AH-64 question

Post by Joseph29 »

I started to install some AI AH-64 packs and I was wondering if the other models not included in the Matrix pack will be converted in a stand alone pack in the future? Models like the longbow_stinger, longbow_rockets, a_rockets, or a_clean. Also in the Arizona Army Helicopters pack there are d model Apaches, are those the same as the a model? Or is that another model?

I was going to install a few other Apache packs but those models are needed.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: AI AH-64 question

Post by Firebird »

I am not up to date on the specifics of this type but what I can state is the goal of the project.

The goal is to convert all aircraft that we use to be P3D compatible. To avoid duplication and confusion will be converting all models of the same type in a block and releasing them together as a pack. Priority is being given to current aircraft.

Once models have been converted and checked Greg is integrating current fleets into the Matrix.

The only deviation from these goals is where we do not have the authority to convert them.

A timeframe for specific model(s) can't be given for two reasons.
1. The models have to be converted and therefore we are reliant on time that can be given by those doing the work.
2. Once converted the models need to be checked and we rely on people being available for this task.

On whether models are the same then the answer is no. To be very on point recently the conversion team had a question about whether there was a difference between the D models and the D_Dutch models. Once checked the answer was yes.

What I have answered is a general rather than specific answer but hopefully it covers what you wanted to know.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

This was in the Matrix region update announcement:
Greg wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 14:01 Asia v4.0
[*]Added new models from the upcoming Helicopters conversion release (AH-64, CH-47 and S-76)
So yes, that implies that there will be a standalone conversion release and yes, the packs will include all models. The idea was to release both at the same time but a minor misunderstanding between Martin and me resulted in this delay. Expect the standalone packs today or tomorrow.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thanks guys.

In the Arizona Army Helicopters pack there are d model Apaches, (d_armed etc.) are those the same as the a model (a_armed)? Or is that another model?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

They are different models.
Steve
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RKE »

What I've done for the time being, is to comment out the original model= line in the aircraft.cfg (put // in front of it) and below that, copy in the model= line for a model that already exists. Some of them will look a bit strange in the sim, but if you're looking at it from a distance, it's better than nothing :)
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I got another question. Are paints inter changeable with the models? I have paints for the UAE and some of them are for the A model, but according to scramble the UAE Apache's are all D models. I also have Netherlands ones that were painted on the D model they are now Longbow's.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Yes no and maybe so. There is one paintkit that is used to paint all the AH-64 models, but not all AH-64 paints may work on all models. Some painters, knowing that certain bits weren't going to be used may have used that space for other things like color samples. That said, there's a very good chance that if you open up a random A paint, you are going to discover it has a longbow radar and stinger tubes on the sheet. There's a very good chance they will all work just fine.

Also, random tidbit. Longbow is just the radar system. It can be taken off, moved from aircraft to aircraft, left in storage when there is no mission need for it etc. etc. If you want to have a fit of madness, try building a package with AH-64Ds in it and trying to accurately represent which aircraft have the radar mounted. MADNESS LIES DOWN THAT PATH! MADNESS!!!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I guess that what Brent eludes to, and this is a general thing rather than AH-64 specific, is that if you are unsure open up the A scheme and then open up a D scheme and see if it looks the same. If there are extra bits then the chances are that the will not be easily interchangeable. I have done that many times.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thanks guys.
clickclickdoh wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 06:35Also, random tidbit. Longbow is just the radar system. It can be taken off, moved from aircraft to aircraft, left in storage when there is no mission need for it etc. etc. If you want to have a fit of madness, try building a package with AH-64Ds in it and trying to accurately represent which aircraft have the radar mounted. MADNESS LIES DOWN THAT PATH! MADNESS!!!
I did not know that.