The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

B-17 Bombing Mission

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
hageneezz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

B-17 Bombing Mission

Post by hageneezz »

Hi all,

I have a question about creating a B-17 bombing mission for FS9

So I would like to simulate a bombing mission, flying from an airfield in England (Biggin Hill) to Brest, simulate a bombing run, and return to England

I would like to make a B-17 formation, of B-17 ai planes (downloaded the B17 ai from here), and fly along with the formation..

So I`ve used AIFP and finally got a B17 to show up on Biggin Hill. But when I watch the plane, it just does not move, and stays there..It does not taxi to the runway and take off. What am I doing wrong here? I am using the stock Biggin Hill scenery..

I would also like to know if it is possible to create a flightplan with the departure and arrival airport to be the same. Input some waypoints leading to Brest, and then back to Biggin Hill...

Appreciate help

Wilco
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: B-17 Bombing Mission

Post by gsnde »

Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by hageneezz »

gsnde wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 19:27 Have you seen this?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... -Available
No, thanks!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

You have all sorts of challenges with that scenario hageneez. The principle one is how to create the B-17 formation. Normally that's done by welding together multiple AI aircraft together in Gmax or FSDS, without landing gear and compiling as a single model. The problem with that of course, is that a formation can't taxi or use the runway in a sensible way, although you can get the formation to spawn in the air. The other is that large formations made that way will be really polygon intensive and will affect frame rate performance.

The alternative way is to make parallel AFCAD files and flight plans, each with a different ICAO code. You might manage 4 aircraft, but forget about many more than that.

If your B-17 is not moving at Biggin Hill, check that the parking spot in the Biggin Hill AFCAD is actually connected to a taxiway and the taxiway is connected to the runway. Use AFCAD2, AFX or ADE to do that.

Why Biggin Hill, by the way? It was a fighter aerodrome.

John