The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

P3D v5 Randolph Air Force base

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

P3D v5 Randolph Air Force base

Post by Joseph29 »

Since the default P3D v5 Randolph Air Force base is somewhat built up I put in AI for the base. I installed the T-38's and T-1's that are based there. I loaded up the sim but only saw one T-1 Jayhawk. Is this because of the packing size? or maybe parking codes?
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Re: P3D v5 Randolph Air Force base

Post by Victory103 »

Most of the default stuff will only have the "fuel parking", you would have to go in and updated the AFCAD. I believe ScruffyDucks ADE is v5 compatible.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I did not know ADE works in v5 thanks.

Also the default Randolph has a lot of parking. I don't know how many spots exactly, but when your in the sim and you want to choose a spot for your aircraft the list is pretty long.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

ADE for v5 is still in development. There's a dev release on the forum but it still has many bugs and some features, such as 8.33, aren't implemented yet.

Before making any updates to the default Randolph, I suggest waiting for the next production version of ADE.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Greg wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 09:44 ADE for v5 is still in development. There's a dev release on the forum but it still has many bugs and some features, such as 8.33, aren't implemented yet.

Before making any updates to the default Randolph, I suggest waiting for the next production version of ADE.
Thanks for letting me know. Luckly I didn't try anything with the Randolph AFCAD.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Victory103 wrote: 20 Apr 2020, 04:05 Most of the default stuff will only have the "fuel parking", you would have to go in and updated the AFCAD. I believe ScruffyDucks ADE is v5 compatible.
KRND in V5 is an Orbx product. The default KRND with only fuel parking is in the sim - it's exactly the same as it was in v4 (and probably in FSX!). The Orbx airfield is in Scenery/Cities/KRND_Randolph_AFB. the AFCAD contains 181 Mil Combat parking spaces, of 5m radius. The number should be sufficient(!), but the radius may be an issue.

The airfield does need to be opened from ADE 1.79 (Dev version) as it's compiled under the v5 SDK, but it's a flat airfield, so should work ok if you edit it. Just make sure you back up the original!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Just to add that I imported the P3Dv5 KRND into P3Dv4.5. It works perfectly and is fully populated with AI.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

P3Dv5's Randolph in P3Dv4.5, full of MAIW AI aircraft. Also, its close neighbour Kelly-Lackland KSKF (modified MAIW FS9 airport):

Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

I'm pretty sure that's the John Stinstrom Randolph scenery that I converted for Matrix...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Greg wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 18:05 I'm pretty sure that's the John Stinstrom Randolph scenery that I converted for Matrix...
Really? This is lifted direct from the default P3Dv5 installation, and I’ve seen it credited to Orbx somewhere - I think in the P3D forums or maybe elsewhere on LM’s website.

Edit: yes, it’s in the Lockheed release blurb at this link: https://www.prepar3d.com/home-slider/2020/04/116313/
airplanedoktor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by airplanedoktor »

Hi Tim,

I'm sorry, I think Greg is right on this one. Here's my default P3Dv5 without any addons at all at Randolph;

I must say I'm pretty disappointed at v5 straight out of the box, thankfully I have most of the ORBX stuff to transfer over from v4.5. It is nice to see the FPS improvements (or so I hear).

Cheers,

Darren
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Well, that’s really strange! All I did was import all the bgls from the v5 KRND to ADE 1.79, then save it in v4.5 format and place it in v4.5 in exactly the same place it is in v5. As far as I’m aware, I don’t have any other versions of KRND. But it’s quite obviously different from your screenshot. I’ll have an investigate later in this morning...
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Greg and Darren, you're quite right of course! I must have had my head in a strange place when I did the 'conversion', and I can't remember exactly what process I used. I've just retried it and it didn't work! I certainly had some variety or other of the v5 KRND within my v4.5 Scenery folder under Cities, but it wasn't the version appearing in the sim at runtime which, as you both of course know, is the Matrix one which I was convinced I'd disabled! On disabling the Matrix version properly this time, only the old, bare stock version appears.

I might have another play to see if I can get the v5 Orbx scenery working in 4.5 as my AMD-equipped PC won't run v5 without crashing (a known problem which LM haven't yet fixed), but I apologise for the confusion I've caused!
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Now I also understand your previous statement that you had parkings full of AI at Randolph which wouldn't have been possible at all without modifying the KRND AFD from P3Dv5. :)

Did you also add the imported scenery to your scenery library in P3Dv4? It isn't enough that you just put the folder in v4, you need to tell the sim to look for it. Place the scenery just above your other cities in the scenery library.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Y’know what, Greg, I have no idea what I did! I think it must have been a late night... When I tried the conversion again today, I couldn’t get it to compile - which is understandable, as the v5 XML contains several elements which the v4 SDK won’t understand.

No matter. Your conversion of JS’s Randolph is fine for my purposes - which is basically watching aeroplanes! It did prompt me to update Kelly Field (as per the screenshot) and upgrade Randolph Aux (SEQ), Goliad NOLF (KNGT - or 7T3 as it is in the sim), Orange Grove NALF (KNOG), Waldron NOLF (KNWL) and Cabaniss Field NOLF (KNGW) all with parking, approaches where appropriate, and a little bit of scenery from the MAIW library. I may resuscitate Chase Field NAS (KNIR) while I’m in the area. I’m not sure I can be bothered to do much in the way of flight plans for these fields though - I’m still working on Finningley, which really should take priority!