The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

AI startup sound: Anybody familiar with this?

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

AI startup sound: Anybody familiar with this?

Post by Manschy »

Hi all,

while my rig is currently rendering some details on RAF Brüggen, I get some time to test an interesting stuff on my older PC:

It's called "FSX AI Start Up Sounds" by Alan Constable and it seems to be possible to add some lines into the Lights section of the aircraft.cfg which will make a startup sound possible to AI aircraft. So far so good.

Now I added those lines to my preferred AI model, John Youngs Harrier and added appropriate files into the effects and sounds folder. But watching the Harriers at startup, they still do start in idle mode.

Initially designed probably for airliners, I think the problem is that the startup time for a Harrier or fighters generally is too short. While airliners can use the time while pushing back for generating the startup sound, Harriers can't, because they have no pushback distance on their parking spot because usually they don't need it.
As soon as the navred light is starting (that's the effect which is used for the startup sound), the Harrier starts taxiing, so too little time to play a startup sound.
In this case, it would be interesting to maybe match the startup effect lines instead inside the light section inside the section when the pilot calls the ATC. Doing this, the Harrier has more time to generate the startup sound - in my (simple) understanding...

That is a really exciting subject. Is maybe anybody familiar with Alan Constables programme/usage of the contents?
If anybody is interested in checking this out, the file I am talking about is

bstupsnd.zip

to find at flightsim.com

Very curious about your suggestions.
Regards, Manfred.
swp53
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Re: AI startup sound: Anybody familiar with this?

Post by swp53 »

Hi Manfred,
What about adding the effect to the nav light section which comes on when boarding and preparing the aircraft. Just a thought it may also be possible to add a delay of some minutes after the nav lights come on like the delay with the afterburner effect when cleared for takeoff at the hold short.
Worth a try.
Steve
Past Beta Tester
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Steve - good idea. But I don't know how to do this? Most of my favour aircraft are no civil but military jets/heavies. I am not sure if there are any options to affect this...

In the meantime, I got the startup sound to work. I did several experiences with the MAIW C-17 and using the contents, indeed the startup sound appeared. But much too late, just at that point when the default idle sound starts as well.
To my opinion, the most attractive option would be to attach the startup sound to the ATC calling of the aircraft. Is there maybe any opprtunitiy inside the parametres?
Regards, Manfred.
swp53
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by swp53 »

Hi Manfred,
I just downloaded the zip and will have a look at it tomorrow and get back to you.
Steve
Past Beta Tester
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Great - thank you.
Regards, Manfred.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Hi Steve,

any good news? How is it possible to maybe extend the starting time (from the point when the reds disappear and the aircraft is pushing back for example to the point when the engine starts...)?
Regards, Manfred.