The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Blurry AI textures in P3D v5

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Blurry AI textures in P3D v5

Post by Joseph29 »

I asked this question in 3 other forums (including the P3D forums) and I haven't gotten any responses that could help me. So maybe someone here would know what is going on.

I am installing AI into my P3D v5 (with the hotfix). So far I just installed GA AI and military AI. I go to the default KTEB (because that is a big GA airport) to see some of the AII installed in the sim and all the AI planes are blurry (the default F-35 plane I was in sometimes got blurry also). The textures did become clear when I got close to the AI planes after about a minute. What could be causing this?? I did not have blurry AI textures with P3D v4+!

I have tried all different types of settings and nothing has helped.

Edit: I haven't been able to see the military AI I put in because I don't scenery or AFCADs for military airports.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: Blurry AI textures in P3D v5

Post by Greg »

Indeed I have noticed the same during Matrix tests in v5. Some AI aircraft textures seem to load with a very low mipmap first and only after a while update to the largest mipmap.

I can't say that I noticed this before the hotfix and the patch notes do mention loading less detailed textures at a distance to reduce VRAM usage. If that is the case, it looks like it needs some fine tuning and I hope they will react to your post on their forums.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

So, purely from a interest point of view, is it a case that nomipmap textures are better in v5?
Has this been tested?
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Firebird wrote: 06 May 2020, 14:05 So, purely from a interest point of view, is it a case that nomipmap textures are better in v5?
Has this been tested?
Just now while at KTEB I did see a single G-V and it was not blurry at all. I checked the texture in Imagetool and it did not have any mipmaps.

I also notice that after the textures go to clear they do not stay clear. After a few minutes they will go back to being blurry again.

The question is do I try and fix the blurry textures? Or do I leave it alone and see if it gets better when they release another hotfix?

Edit: Greg, so far no one has responded to this question in the P3D forums.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

You don't "fix" anything by removing mipmaps, on the contrary. Textures need mipmaps for a variety of reasons. Shimmering is one of them. VRAM is apparently another (although never an issue before v5).

I have a feeling that LM saw a quick way out to the VRAM issue in v5 with this dynamic texture loading, but again it wasn't tested properly.

I do love some of the features in v5 but as a developer I feel like I'm running an open beta...