The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Problem with german tornado package FSX

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Problem with german tornado package FSX

Post by dummy »

Hi there,

i just tried to get the german tornado package (with the new tornado model) to work in FSX.
But after installation of all the needed libraries and textures in got a really weird background at both schleswig and buchel. It looks like a large parking lot :oops:
Also i have multiple objects showing up black. I'm not sure what textures i missed.
Furthermore the tornadoes won't show up. Traffic file is in place. Models are in simobject directory of FSX.

Anyone got a clue?
I also have ORBX global, vector and Germany (north and south) installed.

cheers,

Edwin
Attachments
fsx etns.JPG
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Problem with german tornado package FSX

Post by TimC340 »

That scenery is also part of the Matrix pack, updated for P3Dv4 (but should work in FSX). I have the same addons as you, and don't have that issue, which looks like a corrupt landclass assignment. You may need the MAIW Global Objects Library as well, if you don't have it.

As for the traffic files, make sure you haven't installed the FS9 ones in error. AIFP will check for you, and update them to FSX if needed.
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dummy »

Hi Tim,

thanks (again :)) for your answer. I have the global object library installed and activated so that shouldn't be the problem i guess.

As for the traffic, i downloaded the P3d version so that should contain the right FP's. But i will check to make sure.

Cheers,

Edwin
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Edwin. There are certainly no untextured scenery objects in my installation (there is one hangar completely missing, but the doors are there which is a bit odd!). I know that the airfield files in the Germany Tornado package are still named ‘ADE9’, so I’m not sure how much adjustment was done (FS9 airfields often - but not always - work fine in FSX). In Matrix, they are ‘ADEP4’ files, so they have been recompiled. Often, all that recompiling for P3D involves is making sure all taxiway links are visible, so there may be no significant differences, but it may be worth a try with the Matrix version.

With the traffic files, if only one FS9 file has snuck into your installation, it will stop all FSX traffic. So it’s worth doing a scan with AIFP to check there’s no stray FS9 traffic file in FSX.
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dummy »

Hi Tim,

i checked for FS9 traffic files and none were found. So with no clue what to do with the tornado's i moved on and installed a spangdahlem scenery for FSX and gues what?? the same thing :shock: So that got me thinking it was not caused by the schleswig and Buchel sceneries.

I did some more testing and found that the ORBX Germany North and South scenery packs were causing trouble. After de-activating them everything was ok with the Spangdahlem scenery. Have to check the tornado package again.

is there anyone else with problems installing scenery in ORBX GEN & GES?

cheers
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

If you want to use custom airfields on top of Orbx Germany make sure you disable the Orbx afcad/objects BGL files. For Germany North these file are in subfolder \EU Germany North\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_GEN_05_SCENERY\scenery. Just as an example, for Schleswig ETNS you need to disable files:

ADE_FTX_GEN_ETNS.bgl
FTX_GEN_ETNS_objects.bgl

Sometimes you also need to disable the Orbx airport background, in this case that would be ADE_FTX_GEN_ETNS_CVX.bgl. I keep the Orbx background active if it looks better than the custom scenery background.
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dummy »

Thanks Henk,

will give that a try soon.

cheers,

Edwin
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Sorry Edwin, I assumed you’d done that. As Henk says, you have to get rid of the Orbx versions of the airfields, otherwise you get both versions showing at the same time. I do it by adding ‘.off’ to the file name, so you don’t lose it if you decide to go back to Orbx’s version. I run a search for the ICAO identifier in the Orbx Directory, and do that for each file I come across - they’re not all in the same folder!

The airfields in this pack do have their own backgrounds, but to my eye the colours are not in sync with your Orbx scenery, so you may well wish to do as Henk says - in which case you’ll need to disable or delete the CVX/VTPP files from the MAIW addon. Of course, then you may run into issues with the placing of the airfield if Orbx thinks it’s in a slightly different place than the author of the third-party field! Some Orbx airfields (particularly in the country-specific sceneries) use a photo-real background - have a look at Ramstein (ETAR) as an example - which can make life a little awkward. I don’t know if that’s the case with any of these.
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dummy »

No problem Tim!! :)

i never thought about ORBX versions of the airfields haha. Sometimes the solution can be that simple :)
I'm glad you took the time to help me.

Cheers,

Edwin
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dummy »

Oke guys,

now i'm lost, I did as you said and disabbled the etns and etsb entries in the ORBX folders. Full of hope i fired up FSX and gues what?
nothing changed!! :shock:
Solution was not as simple as i thougt.
Any other ideas?

on a positive note, i solved the black building issue :D

Cheers

Edwin
Attachments
fsx etns1.JPG
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Edwin. Looks like your ETNS is corrupted. You now don't have an airfield background at all - where you did have it, I can see Orbx countryside. The car park stuff is an Orbx landclass item, and that's probably caused by some corruption in your airport as it appears to be confined to the airfield area. Lastly, I can see that now even the flatten has gone as your runways and taxiways are slightly above the surrounding ground level. That tells me that you never had a functioning flatten in your addon ETNS, and you were seeing the background and flatten from the Orbx airfield, overlaid by the corrupted landclass file.

Two things you could do:

1) download and install the airfield again. Remove the current downloaded version first.

OR

2) Open ADE (make sure to select FSX as the target FS if you have a choice). Import the airfield into ADE (Open Airport From BGL). You only need the ETNS_GvB_ADE9.bgl file. Then add a polygon (the green one in the menu bar) that mirrors the airfield boundary, just outside the perimeter road. In the properties dialogue that comes up when you've completed that, nominate it as Type: Airport Background, and Tag: Flatten Mask Class Map Exclude Autogen. Save the airfield with whatever title you like. You will now have an airfield bgl (say, ETNS_ADEX_Edwin.bgl) and an airport background bgl (ETNS_ADEX_Edwin_CVX.bgl) saved within ADE. Put those into your addon airfields folder in place of the ETNS_GvB_ADE9.bgl and ETNS_VTPP.bgl. You can either move those somewhere else, delete them, or rename them by adding '.off' after the bgl suffix.

Hopefully that'll cure it.
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dummy »

Hi Tim,

i don't think the ETNS file is corrupted because as i deactivate the GEN & GES in the scenery library everything is okay. As for the elevation problem, normally i run the elevation thingy from ORBX vector wich solves most of the elevation problems. I didn't do that when ik took the last screenshot.

I will try a re-install of the scenery and if that won't help i'll try polygon option.

cheers,

Edwin