The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF Order of Battle 1978

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

RAF Order of Battle 1978

Post by Garysb »

Anyone have any idea of OoB circa late 70's early 80's

Cheers

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: RAF Order of Battle 1978

Post by Firebird »

Unfortunately, I got rid of my RAF Yearbooks some time ago. I can help with memories but nothing more concrete than that.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

This is what it was in 1989: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure ... ce_in_1989

This was roughly what it was in 1980:

Strike Command (HQ RAF High Wycombe) owned all the UK-based operational air assets. It comprised 1Gp, 11 Gp, 18 Gp and 38Gp.

1 Gp (HQ RAF Bawtry) was essentially the remains of Bomber Command, with the Vulcans at Scampton (27(MRR), 35, and 617 Sqns) and Waddington (9, 44, 50 and 101 Sqns). 1 Group also owned the PR Canberras of 13 and 39 Sqn at Wyton [Edit] and the AAR Victors at Marham (55 & 57 Sqns). 1 Gp was also responsible for the fulltime RAF support unit at Goose Bay, Labrador.

11 Gp (HQ RAF Bentley Priory) was the Air Defence group. It operated F4s at Leuchars (43 & 111 Sqns), Coningsby (29 Sqn) and Wattisham (23 & 56 Sqns), and Lightnings (5 & 11 Sqns) at Binbrook. It also owned the Bloodhound 2s at West Raynham and North Coates, plus the AD and EW warning radar system and lots of locations around the UK. 11 Gp also operated the AEW Shackletons (8 Sqn) at Lossiemouth, and the two Tactical Weapons Units at Brawdy (Hawk/Hunter/JP4 of 79 and 234 Sqns) and Lossiemouth (Hunter). Lastly, 11 Gp was responsible for The Royal Observer Corps.

18 Gp (HQ RAF Northwood) was the Maritime speciality operator, with the Nimrod at Kinloss (120, 201 and 206 Sqns) and St Mawgan (42 Sqn) and EW Nimrod R1s at Wyton (51 Sqn), the Buccaneers at Honington (12, 208 and, briefly, 216 Sqns), and the SAR assets HQ'd at Finningley (Wessex and Whirlwinds of 22 and 202 Sqn), with flights at Lossiemouth, Leuchars, Boulmer, Leconfield, Coltishall, Manston, Chivenor, Brawdy and Valley. They also operated the EW and Target Training Canberras at RAF Wyton (360 $qn) St Mawgan (7 Sqn) and Marham (100 Sqn).

38 Gp (HQ RAF Upavon) was in charge of the Transport Fleet (C130 (24, 30 47 and 70 Sqns), VC10 (10 sqn), Andover (115 and 32 Sqns and The Queen's Flight), HS125 (32 sqn), Devon and a few other stragglers), including tactical helicopters. That covered Lyneham, Benson, Brize, Northolt, Odiham, and Aldergrove. It also owned the UK-based Jaguar fleet at Coltishall (6, 41 and 54 Sqns), and 1 Sqn Harriers at Wittering (and 1417 Flt in Belize).

Support Command (HQ RAF Brampton) operated all flying and ground training and engineering bases, along with several other ancillary units.

RAF Germany was the front line of the RAF, (HQ RAF Rheindalen) operated five flying stations in Germany: Wildenrath (AD F4s (19 and 92 Sqns) plus the Pembrokes of 60 Sqn)), Bruggen (Strike & Recce Jaguars of 14, 17, 20 and 31 Sqns), Laarbruch (Strike Buccaneers of 15 & 16 Sqns and Recce Jaguars of 2 Sqn ), Gutersloh (CAS Harriers (3 & 4 Sqns) plus Pumas of 230 Sqn and Wessex of 18 Sqn) and Gatow (support of the tri-national area of Berlin). There were several radar and support units, plus ranges, and a training set up at Decimomannu in Sardinia.

The RAF Regiment (Depot at RAF Catterick - dunno why I wrote Hereford originally!) provided airfield and surrounding area defence and reconnaissance at several bases around the world.

Other overseas units active in 1980:

RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus. Air to Air Missile and Gunnery range base. In 1980, the only based flying unit was 84 Sqn (Whirlwind).

RAF Sek Kong, Hong Kong: 28 Sqn Wessex

RAF Kai Tak, Hong Kong: airfield support unit for air transport transit flights.

RAF Diego Garcia, Chagos Islands: unspecified operations including support of transient transport flights.

RAF Luqa, Malta: in the process of closure.

RAF Masirah, Oman. Technically handed over to SOAF in 1977, but still very active with RAF support for action on the border with Yemen.

Edited 14/07 1600 - more detail.
Last edited by TimC340 on 06 Aug 2020, 10:48, edited 5 times in total.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Nice find.
Steve
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Hi Tim
I had seen that but many thanks, I found a 1980 year book on Amazon not really much help but a great artical on flying boats :)

Cheers

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The best RAF Yearbook was 1973. It had a complete rundown of each active sqn and their aircraft plus a massive article on the brand new Jaguar that was just entering service.
Used that as a reference for years.
Steve
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Hi Steve
May have a look for that one :)

Cheers

Gary
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I would. It has an artists graphic of a Jag on the cover.
It was from back in the day when we had more than 8 sqns.
Steve