The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Extracting a bgl

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Extracting a bgl

Post by petebramley »

Hi All

I want to extract a single bgl file from my old FSX Disks to replace or supplement the one in my P3Dv4 setup. Two questions:

Can it be done

How?

Many thanks
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Extracting a bgl

Post by Firebird »

It can be done, however there is a word of caution here.
It really depends upon what type of bgl you are talking about. For example if the bgl is a scenery lib then it will have an index of objects inside. So if the system calls for a specific object that isn't there you will get an error.
I have also where people have gone and called for the object at a hardcoded offset in the bgl. So what appears is nothing like what you thought would be there. It is why I got an open HAS right near the threshold of KSEA!

If are talking about a scenery file then it will depend on what that calls. If something isn't found it probably won't error but nothing will appear there.

The upshot of this. Is zip up the bgl you have there currently. Copy the other bgl across and see what happens.
Worst case scenario, it crashes. You will undo the change and you won't do it again.
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

The file I was after is “vehicles_aircraft.bgl”. The P3Dv4 version has the Boeing models removed (very petty) although they left the textures behind. I have now found the file on my old FSX install discs and have installed into my sim after checking in MCX. Going to check it worked shortly but wanted to watch the NASA Perseverance launch from the cape. I have of course made a backup of the original P3D just in case of a possible conflict. One of the advantages of doing regular backups is that I have copies of each version of P3Dv4, point 1 to 4 (not yet installed v4.5) and do not intend to purchase V5.
Pete B
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

It works !!

Now for a nice tall cold G&T
Pete B