The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

when will fs9 end?

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
chrisprevost
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

when will fs9 end?

Post by chrisprevost »

I am going to create a controversy, I did not know that the last simulator was fs9 ... No joke FS9 is 17 years old and I can see that the last releases on the site are dedicated to FS9, what a joke !! I still wonder the merits of this site which does not update regularly any more outputs for P3D ... Knowing that FS2020 will arrive soon ... so what will you do ??
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: when will fs9 end?

Post by Firebird »

Seriously! That is not controversy that is simplistic stupidity.

Two guys have spent over 18 months on a project to convert everything that we have ever done to P3D. They have had to exclude some models as the authors are not available any more but everything else is done or in the pipeline. These guys have jobs and lives and move as fast as their time allows them to do.

New stuff takes longer because developers like John Young take time and effort ensuring that his packages are available for members no matter what sim(s) they use.

The last few releases consists of one of our members making available scenery that he did for FS9 years ago but was never made conspicuously available before. He is doing so now for people that would like his sceneries in FS9 or even FSX.

We are very aware that users of older sims get fewer by the month however as you stated yourself FS9 stuff is still being made available by users which says that it is still being used.
There may well be a tipping point where older sims are not actively supported but it will be a collective decision by the staff here and not because an individual says so nor will we be goaded into anything because of one person.

Here at MAIW we have always tried to support users of various versions. We will not stop doing that because it doesn't suit you. That doesn't mean that as long as there is one FS9 user we will support it but it will be determined by the user and developer bases.

As an example of this, there may be a massive movement of FS9 and FSX users to 2020 but should that mean that we should stop supporting P3D? What would you do?

We try to encompass all here but you appear to be selfish in nature. As for this site you are free to join or leave as you see fit.
Steve
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Wow, Chris or whatever your name is.

Is that all you have to offer?
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

we dont need members like this, who expect everything but contribute nothing, one less member ! would we miss him.....would we ?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The post is outrageous, selfish arrogance. What more is this guy looking for and where does he think the resources are coming from? Not from him of course?

John
swp53
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by swp53 »

"so what will you do ??"
CARRY ON LIKE MAIW HAS ALWAYS DONE YOU BELL END
(I am a FS9 and FSX user and soon to be P3D with a new PC)
P.S Maybe FS2020 too
Past Beta Tester
Muckinator2005
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by Muckinator2005 »

Looks like instead of creating a controversy you got yourself a shitstorm. And, sorry to say that, in my opinion you deserve it! People spent a lot of work and time (and most likely money) into their hobby. You might want to look at the guys over at AIG. They conducted a survey in November of 2019 and still over 15% of members participating are still using FS9. I guess here at MAIW it might be even more as some of the material (planes and scenery) was created in FS9 and in some cases can't be moved into the P3DV4+ world for the one or other reason. Just take a look at the download section and check how many planes are for FS9 and how many are native P3D. As long as people enjoy FS9 there will be others who are willing to make contributions for this sim. Check out the additions in Flightsim.com from last week and you'll see that there's even new stuff for FS98. Creating a new model surely is a difficult task, doeing so for different versions of the sim even more as some things work differently from one sim to another (thanks John and all the others for their great job). Even converting a model from one sim to another ain't that easy (I know what I'm talking about as I'm working on the huge Mig-21 conversion package several month now). I could see from your post that you tried to convert something last year but judging from the abrupt finish of that conversation I guess you gave up, but at least you've got an impression on how difficult this might be. But if you like to see more stuff in P3D feel free to restart. I guess any help will be highly appreciated. If not, please leave the people enyjoing their hobby alone and keep in mind that everybody offering planes, scenery, other stuff or just support is doing this just because he wants to, in his/her spare time, beside his/her real life and without any financial interest.

Best regards,

Jean Claude
chrisprevost
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by chrisprevost »

Thank you for kind messages and your support that goes straight to my heart ... on the other hand we must not confuse everything I NEVER criticized the work of anyone on the contrary ... yes I try to convert things on my side with more or less failures ... and I manage and my work on my side I do not find it satisfactory, therefore not distributable, I do as I can. Here is the controversy, someone had to take the plunge
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

you started your post ripping this site for supporting FS9 "what a joke" were your exact words, then questioned our merits for not producing more P3D "outputs" as you put it.
I for one don't have FS9 anymore but still produce textures for FS9 users, look at the Spangdahlem package just out that was for all 3 sims and John's Typhoon's they are for all 3 sims aswell the list goes on.
if a paint texture or package is released for FS9 only, that's could mean the person uploading it only has fs9,
so unless you can do better sit back and wait and see what comes along.

FS9 will never die it just get's bigger.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

chrisprevost wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 13:38 Here is the controversy, someone had to take the plunge
Actually no they didn't. The reason being that most people here realise that we support multiple systems.

Whether you meant to or not, and whether you actually stated it or not, you DID criticize people's work as your words infer that you would be getting more add-ons if people stopped wasting time on stuff that you weren't interested in.

Nor very community minded.

On the subject of products. We don't demand anything of anyone. We encourage people to contribute and support them.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

chrisprevost wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 06:46 I can see that the last releases on the site are dedicated to FS9, what a joke !! I still wonder the merits of this site which does not update regularly any more outputs for P3D

If you had bothered to scan through the uploads here for the past 3 months then you should get a tally by sim version of (give or take 1 or 2):

FS9: 49

FSX: 64

P3D: 72

That's not counting anything for Matrix (P3D) users.

Some of that is from me and I have always produced packages to satisfy both FS9 and FSX/P3D users - probably around 100 AI aircraft so far. Is that a joke too? The thousands of hours I have put into this hobby doesn't feel like it to me and I'm sure that applies to the other designers here that you have just trodden over.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

chrisprevost wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 13:38 Thank you for kind messages and your support that goes straight to my heart ... on the other hand we must not confuse everything I NEVER criticized the work of anyone on the contrary ... yes I try to convert things on my side with more or less failures ... and I manage and my work on my side I do not find it satisfactory, therefore not distributable, I do as I can. Here is the controversy, someone had to take the plunge
I'm not sure what 'support' you think you deserve. You obviously don't appreciate the amount of work that goes into creating the content that you use, and for which you pay nothing. The people who create it do it out of love for the hobby and a desire to provide the best possible experience for the users. While there's no doubt that none of them seek more than the occasional 'thank you', and they are all open to constructive criticism of their work, your attitude appears to be one of condescension and disrespect.

You might like to reconsider your wording.
chrisprevost
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by chrisprevost »

JohnTenn wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 07:32 Wow, Chris or whatever your name is.

What do you mean by that sentence?
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Guys,
Do not feed the troll!
Hartwig

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

chrisprevost wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 16:40
JohnTenn wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 07:32 Wow, Chris or whatever your name is.

What do you mean by that sentence?

I saw the post you deleted. If I remember this forum software, it will still be visible to the moderator(s). I suspect you will not remain a member here for long.
chrisprevost
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by chrisprevost »

The dictatorship has been there ... Everything that is not in the opinion of the people who are on the Forum, are cleared !! Nice mentality, narrow-mindedness ... this forum is only made up of people from Politburo and Apparatchik
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh good grief!
Steve
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

chrisprevost wrote: 03 Aug 2020, 19:26 The dictatorship has been there ... Everything that is not in the opinion of the people who are on the Forum, are cleared !! Nice mentality, narrow-mindedness ... this forum is only made up of people from Politburo and Apparatchik

I think that the way of say is: "This guy's as high as a kite."
Literally from italian: He is out as a balcony :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I agree with Hawk_SH

Giorgio
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

chrisprevost wrote:The dictatorship has been there ... Everything that is not in the opinion of the people who are on the Forum, are cleared !! Nice mentality, narrow-mindedness ... this forum is only made up of people from Politburo and Apparatchik
I think my Babel fish must have fallen out

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

And... lock ;)

Steve has explained our standpoint very well. Life's too short.