The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Military aircraft at civilian terminals at KCHS

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
DMdoc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Military aircraft at civilian terminals at KCHS

Post by DMdoc »

A question about my hometown airport, KCHS (which is Joint Base Charleston, with a ton of C-17s and moderate amounts of airline traffic from Delta, Southwest, etc.)

At sometime in the now hazy distant past few years, I managed to successfully reconfigure both Orbx's CityScape Charleston (KCHS) scenery and MATRIX so they work in P3Dv5.1. MATRIX and other MAIW aircraft look very nice at the all-military airfields (such as KNBC in South Carolina), but my problem is that when I look at KCHS, there are almost always military aircraft parked at Charleston's civilian terminals (in addition to the expected AI civilian airliners from AlphaIndia). To make things more complex, Orbx's designers "parked" a lot of C-17s at the military portion of the airfield, but as far as I recall I've never seen any other MAIW or civilian AI aircraft at the military aprons.

So, my question: Is anyone aware of any way to prevent MAIW aircraft from parking at the Orbx/KCHS civilian terminal?

(The only way I've been able to prevent this from happening is to inactivate the MAIW programming at C:\Users\Valued Customer\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\add-ons.cfg, which of course means no MAIW aircraft anywhere.)
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Military aircraft at civilian terminals at KCHS

Post by petebramley »

What is probably required is to open up the ORBX ADE file for KCHS and add in the correct parking codes for the Military and civilian spots. To find out what codes are used you will first have to open up the MAIW AF2/AFX/ADE file and make a note of the codes required.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Way back when I had the same problem and what I did was remove all of the static C-17s from the KCHS scenery. Then with ADE I modified the KCHS AFCAD by adding parking for all the MAIW C-17s. I then found that there were some C-130s that visited and had to even add some parking for them. And there were still an occasional C-17 on the civilian side.
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The only way that an aircraft will definitely not use a parking spot is if it is too small for the aircraft to use.

The best way to entice the aircraft to avoid those slots is to accurately define the spots that you want them to use.
So the best way is to specify units and then types. It means that the aircraft.cfg entries must have exactly the same codes or your work here will not be as accurate as you would like.

Once you have this then the only way that aircraft will not park in the spots that you want is if you have not enough slots.

I took stock of the MAIW Charleston and found 47x C-17 parking spots and it contains 52x C-17s. So the chances are that you will always have enough slots for them.

Now the one thing here that gives me pause is that you specify that Orbx has a large number of #2parked" C-17s. If this means that they are static aircraft taking up parking spots then the number of parking spots is reduced dramatically and will lead to the issue you are seeing.

IF that is the case, you have two options. reduce the number of AI aircraft operating form there or more preferably remove the statics and add in the required parking spots.

In short, if you have more aircraft than parking spots then they will use any other parking spot that is large enough to take them - regardless of the parking spot codes.

Does this help?
Steve