The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

AI Creation

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Usslouisiana
Cadet
Cadet

AI Creation

Post by Usslouisiana »

If i wanted to put together my own AI traffic at an existing airport or AFB what should i do and how do i do it.
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by KevinJarvis »

Here's what I do when I want to 'activate' an airbase or other airport.

1. Search for an AFCAD. If you can't find one. Make one.
2. Search for the appropriate aircraft to populate the airfield. Preferably AI friendly models.
3. Write flight plans. I use AIFlightCreator, but there are many to choose from. Search Avsim and Flightsim.
4. After installing the files in the correct folders in FS9, do some plane spotting at the airfield.

Start off slow if this is your first time. Then as you get better you can add more and more aircraft and even redesign an AFCAD to make the airfield more realistic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

KJ
Kevin Jarvis

Usslouisiana
Cadet
Cadet

I need help

Post by Usslouisiana »

I tried doing this but i must be doing something wrong
is there any way i can be taught or given some very detailed instructions?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK, there are various aspects to creating a traffic bgl.

1. You must have an afcad that is capable of handling AI traffic. This means that it must have parking spots and you must have have routes built into your afcad that enable the aircraft to move between the runway and the parking spots. If you don't know whether the afcad is acceptable or not you will need to read the afcad documentation to give you a start.

2. You must have three text files that when compiled produce a traffic bgl that will be placed in your fs9\scenery\World\scenery folder. For this you either need a simple text editor and a knowledge of how the text files work, or you need a flight plan creator, as mentioned earlier.

3. You will need the ttools utility that can compile the flight plan text files, and decompile traffic bgls. Some plan creator utils supply this as part of their install or tell you to get it and install it.

4. It is almost an imperative that you use dedicated AI aircraft to start with as non-AI aircraft can produce unforeseen problems.

Now I know that this sounds almost identical to what Kev said earlier, but this is all true. There are various things that can go wrong, so to find out what your problem is a lot more information is needed and my guess is that its info that you would struggle to give with no previous experience. As we have to rely on an individual to narrow down the area where the problem could possibly be.

There is no one great tutorial that I have ever found, but I have found useful bits published in several places on the web by searching on Google.

I would really start very simply and amend something that works. I would start by decompiling a working bgl, after backing it up first, such as a small
MAIW C-130 pack and working out what each bit means. You can then start by altering one plane to another type so that its easily seen. Everything then follows on from that.

One last piece of advice. When searching for info and tips on the internet, be aware that FS2002, FS9 and FSX all handle AI differently so make sure that you are researching the right one.

If you find a specific problem and you can full details of where it goes wrong then somebody here will be able to help you out, I am sure.

Hope this helps.
Steve
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

The best advice I can give you and I know its very simple advice, but read throught the readme's on Lee Swrody's programs AFCAD and TTools. This is the only way you can start from scratch understanding the ins and outs of basic AI creation. Its the way I learnt how to do it, so just knuckle down and learn the basics first. Over time you will develop new tricks and ways of doing things, but it will take year of practice until you are up to where you want to be. It wont happen overnight Im sorry to say. All the guys here have learnt through countless hours of development and research.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"