The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

carrier ops AFCAD

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
robystar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

carrier ops AFCAD

Post by robystar »

Hi there,

I made things rather complicated by making several duplicate departure airports for planes that all go to my carrier CV68 off Basrah in the Persian Gulf.
Now, I managed to get 4 superlight F18's to fly in formation from OTBH to the CV68 as I simply call this destination airport.
Flightplans have been made for them to start at the same time from OTBH but arriving at CV68 each of them with a 30 second interval using TNG. Once I had overcome the mistakes every one makes at first, I ended up with them landing nicely and smoothly on the carrier.
Now two things still bother me:
1. As soon as the F18 has stopped, it veers to the left, slightly going over the edge of the perimeter of the carrier, although the aprons are to the right. But it does turn and taxi to its designated parking spot afterwards.
2. Using a user heli, it sinks through the deck as soon as I am off the runway or if I am not in a parking spot.
Maybe it is a good idea to show my AFCAD in the attachment so that you experts can have a look at it?

Thanks beforehand,

Roby
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by Ford Friendly »

David "Opa" Marshall has uploaded a tutorial to avsim concerning how to "harden" a surface for landing. You might want to take a look at it.

Title:Afcad Tips & Tricks - Using Afcad to "harden" a surface - an Illustrated Tutorial.

Description: Using Afcad to "harden" a surface - an Illustrated Tutorial. This Tutorial describes, in step by step fashion, how to easily "harden" the surface of any building roof or a ship deck so it can be landed upon. No programming knowledge is required. Please unzip to a temporary folder and follow the tutorial which is provided in .doc and .pdf formats. Compiled for your flying enjoyment by David "Opa" Marshall.

Filename: afc_hard.zip
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=120508
robystar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by robystar »

Thanks Ford.

I do have a hardened surface as I have a flatten underneath (otherwise also AI planes would land in the water). It is just that since runways and taxiways have to be invisible, they cannot be wider than 1ft. That is probably why, once outside a runway or taxi line or parking spot I sink through the deck. And of course I know David's way of hardening surfaces although I do it a bit differently. But it is not a big problem. However the other issue bothers me more.
Ford Friendly
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Ford Friendly »

One possibility that comes to mind, though I've never tried it myself, lower the elevation of the afcad some small arbitrary amount so that the soft deck - which serves only as a visual reference - remains but the actual hard taxiways/runways/parking routes are unseen.

This may cause the wheels to seem to "sink" slightly, if it works, but something like .1 or .2 feet may not be visually significant or noticeable.

Like I said, it's just a thought.

Edit: Taking a look at the Alphasim Enterprise afcads, their "apron" area is the exact size and shape of the actual deck and is "steel mat" surfaced as opposed to the . Other than that, I'm sorry I can't say much about it because of copyright issues.
robystar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by robystar »

Hi again,

Yep, you are right. I solved the sinking problem in the meantime by drawing a steel textured apron polygon exactly following the contours of the carrier, it is invisible and no more sinking anywhere.
Thanks
Now I hope for some answer from someone on the plane not following the apron routes upon landing.

Thanks,

Roby
robystar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by robystar »

Hello?

You're all on holiday or what? Not interested in FS anymore? Tired of all those stupid questions? Got trouble with your wife?
If I cannot get an answer on this site, where do I have to go to, to find the AI guru's? Graham? Paul? Mal? ...?
If I would get an answer I could go payware with my scenery :lol: ! Except for the fact that I would not be so good at the help desk.

Roby
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

....I think that no one is obliged to answer your question....

If someone do.... well :) , if don't.... :cry:
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Please go somewhere else for your questions if you cannot be patient. Good lord.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Roby,
I would say that I would look at it but at the moment I have somebody elses problem waiting on me, and very patient he has been too, plus one beta and four pre-betas.

Now if you are willing to wait a while, I will get around to it, but if anybody wants to have a look in the mean time be my guest.
Steve
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

That's not very nice, Roby. You have to wait less than 24 hours and come out with a statement like that! We all have lives outisde FS you know, and yes I have been away.

Isn't it rather peculiar the number of those asking straight forward questions which have been answered many times before are those who, when some unsuspecting person gives the answer, the questioner goes payware and makes some money out of the rest of us!

If you are waiting to go payware with the answers given by the rest of us, I suggest you do what we do, a bit of experimenting to find out how to do these things.

The AI Gurus are not in this hobby so that a few can make some money out of the time the Gurus have put into it!
Which way is up?
robystar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by robystar »

Hi all again,

Can't you see (read) that was supposed to be read ironically or better jokingly? Guess those emoticons do not do what they are supposed to do.
All that I do and manage to do, I owe to you guys (well, in FS at least), so do not get me wrong!

Sorry and no offense meant and perhaps it is because my 'mothertongue' is not English that it came over as being rude. Nothing was further from my mind than that.

And I will be patient! promised.

Roby

PS You do have to admit that such a comment woke things up, didn't they? :roll: Hope this is the right emoticon? Can't help it.
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

Regardless of your intentions and your mother tongue, the answer to your problem took me many, many hours of experimentation several years ago. Whilst I co-operate fully with many freeware authors on this and several other subjects, I have no intention of giving that information away for someone else to make money for themselves.

So, no offence taken, but I have had my work ripped off too many times to go for it again, sorry!
Which way is up?
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Firebird wrote:...one beta and four pre-beta...
:lol: 8) :lol: :wink:
robystar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by robystar »

Hi,

I do allow myself once more to explain that I never had any intention of going payware with whatever scenery I come up with. That was a joke, for heavens' sake!
As said before, I do owe most of you a big thanks for all of your free advice that in the end allowed me to have more fun with FS.
Sorry you got ripped off so many times Graham but in the end 99 out of one hundred are grateful, me amongst them. Otherwise I would not have appealed to you for help.
I do this for fun, you know, nothing else, as I hope you do to.
But then, regardless of my intentions or mother tongue as you say, I truly meant no offense and certainly not that I would be going payware with my poor private efforts.

Roby
robystar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by robystar »

Hi,

And thanks for the incentive. It works.
Planes land nicely on the angled deck and take off from the bow catapult,
The only thing that is still puzzling me is that after having come to a full stop, they first veer to the left before taxiing to they parking spots. But then, they do not go over the railing anymore.
Attached is my afcad for those interested althouhj I think most of you already know how to do it.

Roby

PS Underneath is of course a flatten.
Attachments
AF2_CV68_Gulf.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

I've done a lot of afcads before but never tried one for a carrier. In looking at yours, it looks like the a/c may go beyond the node for the taxi-way on landing which would, I believe, cause them to turn around on the runway and taxi back to the taxi-way. The planes will make a wide circle at the end of the runway to turn around and I assume this is when they go "over the edge"? If this is the case, it may not be noticable that they are actually turning round before they turn off of the runway. Not much help, I know, but might be the explanation. :?
robystar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by robystar »

Hi,

And thanks for the suggestion.
Indeed, when I moved a node further down the runway, the aircraft stopped going over the edge.
Might have something to do with the FD or cfg of the F18 though. Still have to find out.

Roby