The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

HAWK package 2

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
biffodog

HAWK package 2

Post by biffodog »

Hi all, just come across your AI packages and they certainly add something to the Flight sim experience.

Not sure how accurate you try to make positioning but noticed that the Hawks at Culdrose (EGDR) are rather randomly spread around which isn't realistic. FRADU is actuallly based in the "pizza hut" at C3 with a single flightline outside. As all Hawks are now pooled and come out of maintenance in plain black with simple tail codes very few of the FRADU aircraft now have Royal Navy on them - the Navy can't afford the paint job!

As an aside (having seen a post regarding Jetstreams) the 9 x T2 aircraft of 750 NAS are based at C1 and also use half of C2 hangar for overnight storage.

Pic attached should you feel the need to amend anything.
Attachments
EGDR AI Hawks (Small).JPG
EGDR AI Hawks (Small).JPG (12.84 KiB) Viewed 911 times
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Most useful, I'll amend my AFCAD.

Cheers

John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Hey biffodog,

I try to make my AFCADs as accurate as possible, and I've spent countless hours doing research on Culdrose.

Looking at your drawing, that is exactly how I made the AFCAD, so I don't understand why your FRADU Hawks would go parking all over the field. Maybe you're looking at visiting RAF Hawks? No clue :smt102

Greg
biffodog

Post by biffodog »

Greg, sorry but can only report it as I see it - and was trying to be helpful.
Have rechecked the Culdrose scenery at various sim times of the day and only ever get single RN Hawks parked outside hangars C1, C2 (nearly adjcent to the aircraft wash facility so quite feasible), E1 and E2. Although the tail numbers vary they are always RN badged Hawks (although occasionally with underwing stores which FRADU don't carry).
New pic attached showing locations.
I dont have any other AF2 file for Culdrose that I can locate so would really like to know why I seem to be getting different results from you - and others?
Attachments
MAIW EGDR AI Hawks (Small) (Small).JPG
MAIW EGDR AI Hawks (Small) (Small).JPG (66.64 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

No problem sir, we're always glad when we get feedback from the community :smt023

In this case however, I'm afraid I can't help you as it seems that you have addon scenery installed that did not come with the MAIW package (default scenery does not have hangars), and you have a duplicate AFCAD installed somewhere for this scenery. If you want to locate it I recommend a small utility called "scanAFD" which you can find on Avsim.

Greg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Biffdog,

I tried to recreate your problem, even going to the lengths of installing the Jetstream T2 package, and the first thing I noticed is that the top view of the afcad that you see is different to the top view that I have.

I believe that you are indeed using another afcad. If you use the afcad tool to search for EGDR, you should find only two examples. The builtin default and the MAIW_AF2_EGDR_DEFAULT example. I agree with Greg that you appear to have some third party scenery that fits the afcad shown.
My traffic fits the pattern that both you and Greg say is correct.

I would be interested to know what it is.
Steve
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Its not JustFlights British Airports is it?

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
biffodog

Post by biffodog »

OK, problem identified - if not quite solved.

I have no other EGDR AFCADs but I'm using some bespoke scenery designed by a local chap who has had access to CU and used pictures to create actual replicas of on-site hangars, control tower, flyover, fuel bowsers, fire station etc.

His version is also aligned with VFR scenery which is why although I can now see the Hawks on the FRADU dispersal area, half of them appear under the "Pizza hut" SOB/hangar!

If I dont use your exclude I get to see all my hangars but unfortunately not aligned with your AFCAD runways/taxiways. So I've either got to have your AFCAD working correctly but no hangars or put up with things not lining up.

The attached shows the degree of misalignment.

Frustrating, but at least i understand what's going on now.
Attachments
MAIW EGDR AI Hawks (Small).JPG
MAIW EGDR AI Hawks (Small).JPG (45.96 KiB) Viewed 520 times
swp53
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by swp53 »

Hi Biffodog,
Why not make your own AFCAD to suit the scenery you are using?
Download AFCAD 2.21 by Lee Swordy from avsim or flightsim and away you go.
If you need help drop me a pm.

Good luck,
Steve.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

We at MAIW make AFCAD files for the default scenery, unless there is custom scenery included in the package. It would be impossible to provide tailored AFCADs for every custom scenery out there. We encourage the community to make or adapt their own if they want, using our parking information so everything still parks where it should.

There must be an AFCAD file somewhere on your hard drive for this scenery. Have you tried Firebird's suggestion, or used the utility I mentioned to find it? Try to look in the folder for your addon scenery and I reckon you'll find it there (something with "AF2" in the filename). If not try to contact the scenery designer and ask where he put it.

The reason why there must be one is that your aircraft park on the scenery. If there would be no AFCAD you wouldn't see aircraft, simple as that.

Once you have located it, you could open it in AFCAD 2.21 and change the parkings yourself. I can not help you with that because I'm deployed in Afghanistan, but I'm sure someone else will if needed.

Hope this helps,

Greg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think that Biffdog means he only has the MAIW afcad, the reason why he couldn't see the issue is that the exclude deletes the visual ground so he didn't notice that there was a problem, also the hawks were there just hidden inside a building we don't have. i think I got that right :shock: .

Biffdog, if you have AFX it will be a simple thing to adapt the afcad to the new scenery. Just use FS preview and the top down mode and move it accordingly.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

I beg to differ Steve, because he had aircraft parked where I haven't made any parkings (e.g. in front of the E1/E2 hangars).

Greg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

In which case, o wise one, I shall shut up :lol: .
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

No it was a good try Steve, don't worry mate, and I hope we will find a solution for biffodog's problem together :huge:

Greg
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

Guys,

If there was only 1 AFCAD, and that was the MAIW one, then the aircraft would be parking in the right positions. Yeh?

Without the MAIW AFCAD, the aircraft wouldnt park, cos the defualt has no parking.
So there must be an additional AFCAD somewhere. Maybe not in Addon Scenery, maybe if you have a scenery addon, such as anything from Justflight or UK2000?

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
gvbeek
Captain
Captain

Re: HAWK package 2

Post by gvbeek »

I'd like to pick up on old thread.
In the early days of MAIW packages there were no buildings but just a flat AFCAD.
Is there somebody in the community who has dressed RNAS Culdrose with buildings etc.
If you're the one I'm looking for, would you like to share this with me and of course the rest of the MAIW-simmers.

Thanks.
- Gert van B.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

gvbeek wrote:I'd like to pick up on old thread.
In the early days of MAIW packages there were no buildings but just a flat AFCAD.
Is there somebody in the community who has dressed RNAS Culdrose with buildings etc.
If you're the one I'm looking for, would you like to share this with me and of course the rest of the MAIW-simmers.

Thanks.
Not sure about an MAIW one, but there is a scenery available at Flightsim (culdrose.zip)

HTH
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
gvbeek
Captain
Captain

Post by gvbeek »

Thanks Stewart but I'd like the high MAIW-standard of airbases.
Maybe I'll give it a try with ADE9X.
- Gert van B.