The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

maiw aircraft and carriers?

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

maiw aircraft and carriers?

Post by DaleRFU »

are maiw aircraft able to land, park and takeoff on aircraft carriers?
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Do a search for "carrier" and you will find plenty of information on the subject.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

yes and no, hope that helps...... :D

Seriously though, like Dan says, try searching for all the different threads here on AI using aircraft carriers.

The aircraft are not normally designed to fly as AI from ships, they need modifications to their flight dynamics models to make them work correctly off of a carrier. And that's not always an easy thing.

I don't personally have any AI flying off carriers, it's too much work to get it set up, if that tells you anything.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
SJCarline
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by SJCarline »

Just a newb question here but can't you take examples from the FSX carrier tutorial/missions where there are AI taking off with you from a carrier, I don't think I've ever seen one land though, but man that would be so cool to have an ai carrier with ai taking off and landing.
32 MAIW packages in use with FSX ;)

Windows XP
intel core duo @2ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
geforce 9400gt 512mb
Johnny Test
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Johnny Test »

SJCarline wrote:I don't think I've ever seen one land though, but man that would be so cool to have an ai carrier with ai taking off and landing.
The A-6 Intruders on the AlphaSim CVN 65 (Big "E"), takeoff/land. The only downfall is, the carrier is static.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

In order to create reasonably functional AI carrier operations in FS9 one must first create special carrier AI FDE's for the particular carrier aircraft and then a unique carrier AFCAD that allows the AI aircraft to operate within the tight space limitations of the desired carrier deck.

Mike
Last edited by mikewmac on 28 Jul 2009, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
    Mike M.
    N35W
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by N35W »

Hear hear, Your FDE made carrier ops bearable.

Jonny Test, That would be really sweat to have a moving carrier.

SJCarline, I have full carrier opps with FS9. I don't I will be getting FSX anytime soon though. I don't think I have the power for it.

My logic. The AI pilots have been getting smarter every version since FS2002. If the FS Team sticks to there guns, then I don't see why a FSX AI pilot can't handel a FS9 aircraft. Look for the BigE carrier adjustment on your favorite FS site. Transplant the FDE's of the similar type of aircraft, test, adjust, rock and roll!

Be advised, at least in FS9 when the aircraft takeoff, they will fly strait way off the end of the carrier then climb several thousand feet away from the end. If you have the right FDE or know how to adjust it, landings are sweet.

Super spoiler must not be enough, scratching my head?

Good luck Sir. :)
    Jeff
    robystar
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by robystar »

Hi,

Sorry for reviving an already rather old thread but I read it only just now.
    In order to have AI planes land on a carrier, you need indeed a carrier AFCAD (which also means it has to be a static carrier). I have made carrier AFCADs both in FS9 and FSX. I modified the FDE's of several aircraft to be carrier landable. I also modified Nick Black's FA-18 (which I think is a beautiful AI craft) to have it land on my carrier but this I did in FSX. Unfortunately because of the fact that I used his "folding wings" version, the minute it lands, it folds its wings, which is a bit unrealistic.
    If someone is interested, I would be more than pleased to send over the modified cfg's, .air files and AFCADs so that he/she/it can enjoy the sight of aircraft taking off and land on a (static) CV.

Roby

FYI: In FSX you can also convert the USS Nimitz & USS Eisenhower by Javier Fernandez to static carriers so as to have AI land on them as well. His model is much better and more detailed than the earlier models.
    expat
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Re: maiw aircraft and carriers?

Post by expat »

FYI: In FSX you can also convert the USS Nimitz & USS Eisenhower by Javier Fernandez to static carriers
    Been searching for the means to do this. Which utility do you need? I know from FS9 how to do the rest, e.g. ship AFCAD, ocean flatten AFCAD, FP's etc.

Thank
    robystar
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Re: maiw aircraft and carriers?

Post by robystar »

Model ConverterX.