The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Alphasim RA-5C as AI model ?

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Alphasim RA-5C as AI model ?

Post by hawk_sh »

I am wondering how the freeware (FS9) Alphasim RA-5C will perform if used as an AI model?

http://www.easyfly.co.nz/Freeware/index.php?dir=/USA

The file size of the model is rather small so I suppose there is only a reasonable number of polygons. Probably one LOD.
There are 11 textures files for each individual repaint - not ideal but far better than the 45 textures of the Alphasim A-3 AI model.

How many NBAI F-18s will equal one RA-5?
Hartwig

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Alphasim RA-5C as AI model ?

Post by Firebird »

It would depend on how many polys the model uses. If I get a change to look tomorrow I will work it out.

Polys aren't the only things to slow down fps, the number of textures also slows it down. This is the reason that all good AI models try to get all their textures on one sheet. Five isn't too bad as far as flyables go.

I would say though that the fde will also need replacing with an AI friendly one, but you knew that already :D .
Steve
expat
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by expat »

I have used the Alphasim RA-5C as AI for years in FS9 going back to when it was still payware. It is not as fps light as purposely made AI of course but it has a very basic VC and I have never found it a hog in my Yankee Station (Big E) AI environment and very acceptable on frames.

What I have found is that using the Vigi as AI in FSX you see the lights and effects but the model won't appear. As a flyable model, the FS9 Vigi works fine in FSX. Have read it is something to do with mixing FS9 scenery with FSX but never seen this on any other AI FS9 converted model I have used in FSX.
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Thanks for the comments so far.

Steve, did you find the time for a closer look, yet?
Hartwig

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Sorry, I completely forgot about that. I will do it as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow morning before work.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ok the RA-5C is remarkably good as far as full blown models go, only 8322 polys.

This means at close range it is 1x RA-5C is equivalent to just over 2.6x NBAI F-18Cs. At two miles range it equals just over 28.1 F-18Cs. This is purely poly counts the amount of bmps will actually make this worse as you have to load 11 texture sheets on something that you can't see.
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Thank you very much, Steve.

I guess that reducing the texture size won't bring that much benefit as one texture set (11 textures) is only three megabyte?
What about removing some of the textures from the texture folder? I suppose it will not improve the performance as FS9 will search for these textures in other folders.
Hartwig

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am not to sure about that. The search will take some cpu, but not much. It will still be more about the number of textures that it has to read and load. Reducing the size of the textures might help a bit, I am not sure. It would also depend on what it does to the quality. Reducing the number of textures would probably help a little, if you can. My guess is that you aren't going to make much difference. The impact is really going to be down to how many are you going to have in view at one time.

What we are talking about is the reason that AI modellers put all of their textures onto one sheet. It takes one load instruction and one paint instruction. Rocket found an immense reduction in scenery fps if he was able to load multiple textures onto one bmp and then paint several buildings at once. The natural way is to texture each building separately. If you are able to reduce it then you are on to a winner.

To give you an example I recently added, as a personal project, the POSKY E-767 to my system for the JASDF. As there are only 4 and I plan to only have a max of three on the ground at one time then I deem it usable.

Incidentally, if anybody wants my personal fde mods for this model then drop me a line. Also if anybody has modified the relevant bmps so that all 4 serials are available then I will be very pleased to hear from you. :D
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Firebird wrote:What we are talking about is the reason that AI modellers put all of their textures onto one sheet. It takes one load instruction and one paint instruction. Rocket found an immense reduction in scenery fps if he was able to load multiple textures onto one bmp and then paint several buildings at once. The natural way is to texture each building separately. If you are able to reduce it then you are on to a winner.
I know what you mean - it's all about minimizing the number of drawcalls.
The tutorials made by the Airfield Construction Group explain this topic very well. I am trying to apply these design principles at my NAS Oceana scenery.
Hartwig