The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Inherited a project from a mate

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
james
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Inherited a project from a mate

Post by james »

I inherited his JSF project since he got accepted into the RN as an RO he gave me this project to finish and upload with his permission. The thing is I thought he was turning it into AI at one stage then it went in the direction of a flyable aircraft and I thought why not convert it to AI. Since iv never done this before I thought id get the boys at MAIW to help out. I was following the tutorials yesterday for FSDS and im crap at most things I gave up after the 3rd tutorial as I thought FSDS aint for me untill i got the JSF in an email and his explination telling me why hes handed it over.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Inherited a project from a mate

Post by BadPvtDan »

We can give you help bur you'll have to spend plenty of time with FSDS. We were all xrsp when we started. Do you want to invest the time? I think converting a flyable aircraft to AI can be more difficult than starting from scratch.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Yep, almost easier to start from scratch. Not trying to discourage you. You could send me the source file and I could give you a better idea if it's worth continuing.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
james
Captain
Captain

Post by james »

it would be a shame to waste a model thats gotten so far
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Yes it would but there are plenty of FSDS source files out there of models we haven't done. Problem is that they are all flyable models and have been designed that way from the start. Once you get into the model, you realize that you end up remaking 95% of all the parts anyways, so at that point, it is not worth the time to try to convert it.

Just depends on the model and at what stage it's at. Hint, let one of us see it first.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
james
Captain
Captain

Post by james »

MIKE JG wrote:Yes it would but there are plenty of FSDS source files out there of models we haven't done. Problem is that they are all flyable models and have been designed that way from the start. Once you get into the model, you realize that you end up remaking 95% of all the parts anyways, so at that point, it is not worth the time to try to convert it.

Just depends on the model and at what stage it's at. Hint, let one of us see it first.
I think its way past saving for ai
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by miljan »

A while ago i got base file for one flyable aircraft with around 45000 polygons and I wanted to cut the parts and make AI.After 15 minutes i was lost between point and i gave up.
VIVA LA VIDA
james
Captain
Captain

Post by james »

he did take one project with him and his laptop was the ship he was going to serve on he was doing for fsx ai and possibly a fs9 version
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Good to know gents, I was looking at the Hovercontrol OSD kit for the H-60 series, comes in at 20K poly's. I think I have the attention to detail to make the model, but the skill....well that's another story.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Miljan, now your Avatar is less interesting then the last one, on the other hand, I found your signature very very very very actractive.... :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Giorgio
ahs06
Captain
Captain

Post by ahs06 »

Victory103 wrote:Good to know gents, I was looking at the Hovercontrol OSD kit for the H-60 series, comes in at 20K poly's. I think I have the attention to detail to make the model, but the skill....well that's another story.
Victory, Did you see these? There's a few S-70's that are works in progress on Hovercontrol.. Probably still needs a diet though.
http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ifo ... isc&img=18
"No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind"-C Ritzer
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Yes, those are in my sim now as stand-in's, not sure if they have LOD's.

Agree about the sig, the C-27J is becoming pretty popular real world.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris