The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

P&W PW127G engine

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
piggin wigginer
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

P&W PW127G engine

Post by piggin wigginer »

Hi,

Me again, Well I did promise I'll be back if I need help :roll:

Wasn't very happy with my engines at all to be honest, So I started to redo them.

They are PW 127G engines. A little of research shows that the ATR72 has PW 127F engines.

Very similar.

So I loaded up the OSP ATR 72-500 in ACM (fell over when I saw the poly count on the engine body (only 143 :shock: )

So I made a new model of the engine
PW127G
PW127G
However, I'm struggling trying to model the intake which is done so well in the OSP model.
P&W PW127F.jpg
Any ideas how to do this? Should I make a new part and then join the parts and play with points?

Thanks in advance.

BR

Chris
Ancient and Loyal
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: P&W PW127G engine

Post by miljan »

This is a picture of engine in my C-27J.Add enough points for two circles and two time two point for connecting parts between them.Later when you make shape that is good enough for you select certain points and join them.

I hope this will help
Attachments
c27j engine.jpg
VIVA LA VIDA
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Miljan has posted an excellent example. From the wire frame work you can see how he managed to model this part.

If you want to you can copy your engine nacelle, paste a new version of it, and make the intake from there. This will assure that initially, the two parts are the same dimensions.

You can literally model anything you want if you have enough verticies (points). I have recently come to understand that I could build an entire aircraft model starting with just a basic cube and continuing to add points to it. FSDS helps us by creating premade parts for us that are useful, tubes for example.

Once we get the points in the positions we want, we can build polygons from them, basically filling in the gaps between the points. It's a slow process but a vital one.

For an intake, your best bet is to use a complete tube part, don't delete ANY points until you get the shape the way you want it. Using the cross section mode, you can add and remove cross sections as needed. To get the intake right, you have to "fold over" a couple cross sections of your tube part to create the inner part of the intake. You will need that ability to add or delete cross sections, from using the cross section mode, to get the intake looking right.

So maybe use a new tube part that closely matches your nacelle part, tweak it until you are happy with it, THEN you can join it to the bottom of the nacelle.

Remember in FSDS, the "snap to scale" function is the equivalent of "welding" points in Gmax. This is were you have two or more points that are very near each other in 3D space, you want them to be combined into just a single point effectively joining them together as one. This then allows you to build polygons from that one point as well as helps FSDS figure out the shading issues with that area.

You will probably remake that engine nacelle and intake 5 or more times before you are happy with it. That's completely normal and usually each time you remake it, you model it better than before.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
piggin wigginer
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FS9

Post by piggin wigginer »

Thanks guys for your help. :D

Will give it a go now.

BR

Chris
Ancient and Loyal