The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Something different

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Something different

Post by MIKE JG »

AI Tanks :smt070

Just getting started.
Attachments
AI_M1Abrams.jpg
AI_M1Abrams.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by RipPipPip »

Oh, interesting, Mike ...
it's gonna be a static for a scenery or a movable one?
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Both!
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Some "proof of concept" type of images, showing the tanks, as ai, moving around.

Click to enlarge:

-Mike G.

BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Good stuff, Mike. You need to make it so we can see Operation Desert Storm!
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Unfortunately there are some limitations assiciated with AI vehicles. The main one being that you wouldn't ever want to connect them to an actual runway, or they would actually take off and fly!

Secondly since they are following fake taxiways, they can only drive on flat surfaces like those immediately around an airport. Any elevation change in the land mesh and they will either appear to float above the surface or dissappear beneath it. Plus using AFCAD taxiways creates sort of a poor mans flatten file along the taxiway which will distort the landscape a bit.
-Mike G.

BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Ah well, tanks always scared me anyway.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

AI UBoats..........hmmmmmmmmm.........

-Mike G.

CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

Mike did u just make tht?

Dunc
Regards,
Dunc
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I did indeed. The wake effect and .air file are from a FS9 usable submarine. :wink:
Attachments
Uboat.jpg
(43.35 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

That's looking better now.
Attachments
LAClassSub_1.jpg
LAClassSub_1.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 865 times
-Mike G.

Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

Forgive my dumb question, but how exactly do Ai Tanks/boats etc actually work? You couldn't give them runways because they'd take off, so how would you move them yet stop them doing that?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Not a dumb question at all. I have to give credit to Holgar Sandman for his and others' work on this area. I would have never figured it out on my own, that's for sure.

Here's the basic concept. You create an afcad file with very, very, very long taxi segments, using ramp taxi links (the green lines) with a width of 1 foot so they are not really visable. But you never connect the taxi links to a runway because as you correctly stated the ground bound AI would indeed try to take off. So you basically terminate the taxi links at a runway taxi link (the black line) and do not connect it to an actual runway. So your ai generate in their parking spots when you enter the active AI area, start their taxi towards the non-existent runway and slowly make their way along their very extended taxi segments. When they do reach the end of their taxi links they will come to a stop and eventually dissappear, and that's the drawback. So the idea is to make the taxi segments long enough to give you plenty of time to sail your vessel or drive your vehicle around without noticing that it will eventually dissappear.

Here's an example of a "shipping" afcad. To give you an idea of the scale, I've superimposed the Hawaiian island of Oahu on top of this afcad, which is where the afcad is actually located. So at the speed the boats "taxi" at, it will take a long time for them to reach the end of their taxi segments.

Water vessels are ideal for AI since the ocean is at sea level, so it should be roughly the same mesh height. If you run into varying heights in the terrain mesh, that's where you run into problems. That's why AI vehicles don't work as well as boats do.
Attachments
fsscr000.jpg
fsscr000.jpg (99.19 KiB) Viewed 736 times
-Mike G.

Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Why not add the vehicles as dynamic scenery?
Don't need an AFCAD for them then.

Check the thread here -

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showth ... ic+scenery
Misha_K

Post by Misha_K »

MIKE JG wrote:I did indeed. The wake effect and .air file are from a FS9 usable submarine. :wink:
Couldn't one save a lot of polys by not modeling the bottom of the sub? It's invisible in FS anyway, no?
Savage
Captain
Captain

Post by Savage »

Thank you for the detailed description.

One problem I'm having, the Carrier I'm using will not appear on the water parking, yet when I put into a standard airport it appears, any thoughts?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

@Kevin,

Yea modeling the land vehicles as dynamic scenery may be the way to go, would probably be easier that way. As for the boats, I think it's more fun to have them as AI, allows the user to make their own "cruises" as well.

@Misha,

By virtue of their relatively simple shape (submarines) they don't have that many polys to begin with. Only problem I could see with cutting the bottom off of the boats is that they might not behave as well in the water. They actually do bob up and down even as AI. If I cut the bottom half off, they may not react the same way. I'll try it and see what happens. I have a feeling that I'd have to change the .air files and change the contact points to get them back to the proper displacement in the water. Certainly if they are just being used as static scenery there would be no harm in cutting the bottom half off.

@Savage,

Sounds like an afcad/aircraft.cfg entry issue. One big issue is making sure that you use the correct parking radius for these AI boats. The radius they use is quite large. You can check out the radius that the designer set by using the "Aircraft Editor" feature in the Tools menu in AFCAD. Double check what the listed radius for your carrier is and make sure that your designated parking spot for your ship afcad is big enough. If that doesn't do the trick double check the parking type and parking code in the aircraft.cfg entry. You may have to create a custom parking code for the AI carrier to show up.
-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Well a little trial with a "half a sub", cut the bottom off to see what would happen. Reduced the poly count by about a third. FSDS shows 215 polys vs. about 300 for the whole version. So definetely an improvement. And no real change in the models's behaivor in the water without a "bottom" section on it. Probably a good thing to use after for all LODs after LOD1.

This is a version with a DSRV riding piggyback:

Also someone was asking about the transparency of the surface of the water and whether or not you could see features of the model below the surface. Welll after looking at it again, the answer is yes you can indeed see some of the model below the surface.

-Mike G.

MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Finally the family photo:
Attachments
aisubfam.jpg
aisubfam.jpg (91.28 KiB) Viewed 942 times
-Mike G.

CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain

Post by CrazyDunc »

u doin any russian subs? i could use a russian, make the attack on my a/c carrier a bit more realistic

Dunc
Regards,
Dunc