The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Adding a Multiplayer model

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Adding a Multiplayer model

Post by John Young »

In another thread, Mike G made a suggestion that in some cases of AI aircraft design, tankers were the specific topic, it would really satisfy the Multiplayer community if us AI designers could cater for their needs.

I like that idea. A few months ago, I was asked to strip down one of my models for on-line multiplayer use. It really didn't take much time to do and if another section of the FS community can benefit from a marginal amount of extra work that surely has merit. What might be useful though is if we could determine what needs to be done to meet that need. From what I understand at the moment, the following must apply:

1. A maximum overall model size of 15,0000 mesh polys.

2. No temporary xml def-file coded parts, like GPUs. RBF ribbons, intake covers and pilots that are triggered by the beacon light on/off.

I don't know if other xml coded temporary parts are permitted, like refuelling hoses that are triggered by aircraft altitude/attitude. I assume LODs are fine but only up to the overall model limit of 15,000 mesh polys. I assume that FSX models are OK for FSX. FDE might be a problem area. I find that the FDE for a flyable aircraft is not necessarily suited to the AI version and some tweaking is sometimes necessary. I assume that multiplayer aircraft need to be designed as flyable aircraft - FDE wise?

If people in the know can advise please -are these assumptions valid and is there anything else that needs to be observed?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Adding a Multiplayer model

Post by Firebird »

It's been a few years since I did any online flying so I am a bit rusty on my facts but this is what I believe to be true.

I think that most of your assumptions are basically correct, John.
The key thing being that xml auto triggered effects are not transmitted in a multi-player domain. This would seem to rule out the possibility of automatically trailing hoses but as it's multiplayer it would seem that a manual event action should be transmitted.
I seem to remember that quite often aircraft with animated ailerons would appear with one up and one down as the system wouldn't transmit the data of their state.

There maybe a limit to what events are triggered so it maybe that for the multiplayer model you would need to set up the hoses or boom to be triggered by the hook or chute event, maybe both in the event of a boom tanker equipped with pods. The limits would depend upon the environment used and you would probably have to check the SDK. I seem to remember a few years ago that there was a bit of excitement when one peer-peer protocol actually transmitted something new, I think it was either lights or flap settings.

LODs I think are as important as an AI environment as it is your own PC having to process and display the data. So whilst for the enjoyment of flying purpose you would like better models you also need to help yourself out.

On the fde front you are correct in that AI aircraft need a different fde as the AI flight model is different to the flyable one.
Steve
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

In an effort to be able to make a fault free multi-player model for you guy's that like playing on-line, can somebody in the know please explain what is required in the model and how it should be animated (if required).
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Mark,
In essence anything that you want animated can't be done any of the usual xml triggers. So effectively what i would look at is what xml effects you currently have and what would be missing.
An example would be any of the current xml flap manipulation that we do. This I believe, based on knowledge of what was possible a few years ago, means that the user would be responsible for all flap movement. No big deal for a flyable aircraft. What is a bigger deal is the activation of auto slats, these would not show up.

So for a tanker its main xml effects that would need to be altered would be the hose and/or boom animations. You would need to find valid transmittable FS9 keystroke events, such as chute, water rudder, hook etc and attach the anims to those events.

I am guessing that you had probably figured all this out and just need the help of a competent adult to explain exactly how you attach the anim to a default FS event. I am afraid that this is where I fall down.
Steve
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by SeanG »

I did a simple (and crude compared to you guys!) B707 tanker for MP once, and I used the gear as the trigger, as it was the only animation that I could be sure of :) So I had Gear down, drogues in, Gear up drogues out.. Meant that even if the animation events weren't sent then the gear would default to up, with the drogues trailing... Simple, clunky, but worked.

Another thing I did was to produce "model pairs", which meant that you could fly your CaptainSim 707, but appear to other players in the session as the MP model... makes for some fun MP sessions.

In my home cockpit I have a "spare" PC running FS9 with my MP tanker flying a never-ending racetrack to practice with... also good fun.. so from a personal perspective, I'd love to see some MP models of the MAIW family ;-)

SeanG
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Can't promise that we'll be doing any multi-player aircraft that will make it over the finish line but we are giving it some consideration and have started some trials on some of our newest models still in development stages.
As most of us developers here don't get time to multi-play on line, let alone get the time to enjoy the 200 odd packages created by MAIW over the past 6 years we don't have much experience, if any, in developing a full working multi-player aircraft.
We will ultimately rely on trial and error that our members will have to report upon.

Mark G
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

The animations on the KC-135 models should work in MP just fine, it's just that the user won't be able to control them with a keystroke or switch. However that model has to be between 20000-24000 ft and has to be level. To keep the boom from extending, all the user has to do is fly the model at 19999 ft until they are ready for the animations to start, then climb that extra foot.

That's a bit tricky but you get the idea. But at the same time the animations could probably be tied to something like Concord nose visor up/down or something similar.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log