The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Carrier Landings

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Re: Carrier Landings

Post by gsnde »

For example with AirEd. There are only few specific air file editors around.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

usb wrote:Being a little green, how do i or what do I open up the air file to change the required data?

Use Aired from the following download link and use it to open the desired air file to make the changes:

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=89432

Mike M

PS: Oops! Martin beat me to it. :lol:
    Mike M.
    gsnde
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Two links to different sources is always a good thing, Mike :smt001
    Cheers,
    Martin

Post by 1st Shirt »

Firebird, is it possible to use animation effects like Nick,s helos or would that require a separate model?
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin
    Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

1st Shirt wrote:Firebird, is it possible to use animation effects like Nick,s helos or would that require a separate model?
    A fair question.
    The system that Nick developed basically involves altering the position of the model using xml parameters. This is fine if all you are doing is raising the model and tilting it, as in the helos, but you have to remember that although the visible mdl is moved the main fulcrum for the fde has not and so the model still travels along the runway even though it doesn't look like it.

As you can see using the same trick doesn't really translate to a carrier take off as you still need a runway to move along. Now you could use an invisible runway that is longer than the carrier deck, to help, IF you can get a completely invisible deck.

An ideal solution would be similar to Rob Barendregt's carrier gauge, where you get a boost to 150 kts almost instantly, the trouble is that AI aircraft don't use gauges. Even if you were to add a panel folder it ignores it, this is why we can't call up afterburners on tap either.

There probably is an ingenious solution out there, it just hasn't been found yet. Those of us that look for these things do not close off any avenue of investigation.
    Steve
    usb
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by usb »

Do I just need to ajust step 6. to land on the carrier or do I need to make a the changes like your pictures? If I make a mistake will the aircraft crash my computer? Have had trouble in the past and with so many planes I have loaded it's like trying to get rid of a virus if I screw up if you know what I mean.
    Mike G.
    Janeway
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by Janeway »

usb wrote:Do I just need to ajust step 6. to land on the carrier or do I need to make a the changes like your pictures? If I make a mistake will the aircraft crash my computer? Have had trouble in the past and with so many planes I have loaded it's like trying to get rid of a virus if I screw up if you know what I mean.
    The MOST important parameter for "Arrestor-cable'' simulated stops is in Step 6, my friend.
    The ''Drag Coefficient - Spoiler'' parameter.

As always, DO back up your Air file...first, usb.
    And keep this ''original' air file ZIPPED up inside the AI plane folder it belongs to.

If you feel worried about these changes...then change ONE plane at a time...and see what happens.
    Double-check the values you change, as a precaution, and don't rush things.
    One precaution you can take is to make a RESTORE point before making changes. For some strange reason,
    Windows XP restores ANY changes you make to Flight Simulator if you use System Restore.... (at least, on MY setup)

Naturally, nobody can give you any guarantees, usb. A certain amount of risk - however small - is always present.
    However, you can't afford to let your fears control you either...IF you wish to have fun tweaking stuff in FS2004.

Though Step 6 points to the KEY parameter that needs altering, the other steps also indicate three or four variables
    that might make things work more smoothly... I included screen-shots to lessen the risk of being MISunderstood as to which variables should be changed.
    It's up to you.
    usb
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by usb »

Ya Baby!!! Step six works perfect with Nick Blacks Tomcats. Working with some F18 Hornets not getting the same results any suggestions? I will try to return the favor if ever I can thanks again This is Sweet!!!
    Mike G.
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The obvious question is how is it different for the F-18?
    Steve
    usb
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by usb »

One thing I noticed is the number -14562 took in the F14A but came up as -14598 in the F14D however , both aircraft work just fine. The F18 will not take the same number either but I am still experimenting the F18 wants to vanish before coming back to the carrier. Still am very happy with what is working will keep all informed of progress I am rather new working with AI.
    Mike G.
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I just made a quick check on a copy of the F-18 air, as supplied, and found that the Cd_ds Drag Coefficient - Spoiler I was able to set to -14562 so i am not sure what is going on there.
    However the interesting thing you said is that the aircraft wants to vanish before coming back to the carrier. there is a feature/bug in the AI engine in FS9 that means that the next arrival point can't be less than around 2500', I think, blow the previous waypoint height.

If you are doing TNG's at an airfield higher than 2500' than might be your problem. it might be worth checking that.
    Steve
    usb
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by usb »

Maybe I don't know how to use the air file program just right I now have Nicks F18 working at KNHK but of the Miramar carrier will work some times sometimes not wants to vanish just before touch down I tweaked one of his F7's and still it would only let me incert -14598 but the aircraft lands perfect. I read the help and left click type in the number. Having a great deal of success anyway. Will keep you posted on progress.
    Mike G.
    usb
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by usb »

Ok, now that I have learned how to click open the box to change everybody to the magic number (-14562) have it memorized. F14A,B,D F18C,D F4 PhantomB, F7E.all work perfect!! The F18G Hornet is the one that acts strange works sometimes some times falls into the ocean just before reaching the carrier. Seems to work better on land. Very strange all the other aircraft work great! I believe Steve Hinson is looking down upon us with pride he is in my memories everytime I fire up the carriers in my sim.I always wanted to achieve this work with the AI environment . Thank You again all involved who answered my post.
    Mike Grimes alias USB
    Reno,NV. :smt006
    Mike G.
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

usb wrote:Ok, now that I have learned how to click open the box to change everybody to the magic number (-14562) have it memorized. F14A,B,D F18C,D F4 PhantomB, F7E.all work perfect!! The F18G Hornet is the one that acts strange works sometimes some times falls into the ocean just before reaching the carrier. Seems to work better on land. Very strange all the other aircraft work great! I believe Steve Hinson is looking down upon us with pride he is in my memories everytime I fire up the carriers in my sim.I always wanted to achieve this work with the AI environment . Thank You again all involved who answered my post.
    Mike Grimes alias USB
    Reno,NV. :smt006
    Mike,

One of the problems with using the super spoiler change in the air file is that you will occasionally lose a VFR AI into the sea as it turns onto final from the base leg. This happens more often with some AI models than others and much more often if you use an accelerated FS9 speed to hurry the VFR pattern flight along. Are you losing these AI under similar conditions at a similar time during a VFR pattern flight?

Mike M
      Mike M.
      usb
      Second Lieutenant
      Second Lieutenant

Post by usb »

Yes, however, it does simulate a pilots worst of bad dreams ha!ha!
      Still, I will experiment now that I have some confidence. What's really fun not asking for clearance to land on the carrier and have one of your own ai's jump right in front of you. :mrgreen:
      Mike G.
      mikewmac
      MAIW Veteran
      MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

usb wrote:Yes, however, it does simulate a pilots worst of bad dreams ha!ha!
      Still, I will experiment now that I have some confidence. What's really fun not asking for clearance to land on the carrier and have one of your own ai's jump right in front of you. :mrgreen:
      Mike,

The only two solutions for this that I have found are to either run all AI carrier flight operations at normal FS9 speed or only flight plan IFR flights for the AI based on carriers. The former seems to minimize if not eliminate the crashes of the VFR AI into the sea as they turn to final and the latter seems to eliminate the problem entirely. Personally I use a mix of VFR and IFR carrier flights myself and just accept the occasional loss of an AI flying a VFR pattern around the boat. :wink:

I have found AI carrier operations to be fascinating and a lot of fun to watch also. Of course I have been experimenting with them for several years now, so I have tried a lot of different things with some successes and a lot of failures. :lol:

Mike M
        Mike M.
        usb
        Second Lieutenant
        Second Lieutenant

Post by usb »

I have another question. Is it safe to use the flyable aircraft as AI aircraft, without changing the cfg. or airfile? I'm getting random program crashes and I have looked for duplicate afcads and bum texture files though they are somtimes hard to find and it's a real drag to remove and reinstall thewhole program if you know what I mean. I have not had these crashes for years untill I started fooling around with AI and afads.
        Mike G.
        Firebird
        MAIW Admin
        MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Simply put, no.
        You may get lucky and find an fde that works perfectly well w/o modification but that is the exception rather than the rule.

The majority of crashes are invariably down to effects, if you are using flyable aircraft. Flyable aircraft effects can not be used for AI aircraft and will cause crashes.
        Steve
        usb
        Second Lieutenant
        Second Lieutenant

Post by usb »

I am also experiencing some trouble with Windows7 after about an hour or so of watching the AI come and go the program minimizes and paused. Unchecked pause on task box now just minimizes. Did this a couple times while I was flying as well. Doesn't happen on the other computer with XP. I pretty much set up both computers just for the purpose of trouble shooting. Any Ideas whats happening? Setting in Windows 7 I don't know about? By the way, Carrier aircraft land great! Very realistic. :smt004
        Mike G.
        Firebird
        MAIW Admin
        MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Does it happen if you just hit 'P'?
        Steve