The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Help wanted with A-10 paintkit

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
e.daalder
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Help wanted with A-10 paintkit

Post by e.daalder »

Hi All,
i need a little help with the rwai A-10 paintkit. When i open de PSD file with photoshop i can make change to it but how do i have to save it? I tried saving it as a BMP file but the textures won't show up in FS. I also made changes to the aircraft.cfg file.
Is there anybody who has experience with repainting?

Thanks in advance,

Dummy
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by nickblack423 »

You've done right but you need to convert the file to DXT3 format with a paint tool such as imagetool which can be found on avsim.com and flightsim.com amongst others. You wont be able to see the file or edit it without converting it back to 32bit once you've done this. But FS will recognise the DXT3 format.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Re: Help wanted with A-10 paintkit

Post by mikewmac »

e.daalder wrote:Hi All,
i need a little help with the rwai A-10 paintkit. When i open de PSD file with photoshop i can make change to it but how do i have to save it? I tried saving it as a BMP file but the textures won't show up in FS. I also made changes to the aircraft.cfg file.
Is there anybody who has experience with repainting?

Thanks in advance,

Dummy
e.daalder,

If you saved your work as 24 bit bmp textures, FS won't show them unless they are compressed to the DXT3 format using either the DXTBMP or ImageTool programs.

Another option would be to save them as 8 bit bmp textures, but you might lose some image clarity. You could also save them as 32 bit bmp textures, but those take up a lot of HD storage space.

Mike
e.daalder
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by e.daalder »

Ok, thanks, will download the needed tool and try again. Thanks again for the quick response guys

Dummy
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

FS won't show 24-bit BMP full stop.

Best -
Save as 32-bit and then DXT3 them.