The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

After Burner Effects

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
plumber
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

After Burner Effects

Post by plumber »

Hi, at present I am using the AS Javelin FAW 5 & 9 as AI a/c, I have an odd problem in that during the day there are no afterburner effects however as soon as general airfield night time lighting comes on, a single A/B on the port side lights up with a bang as the a/c starts up. The nav lights are on both day and night. Anybody any idea how I can stop this?
The only plus with this is, I can see where the Javs are at night.
Cheers
Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: After Burner Effects

Post by Firebird »

Brian, post your light section of the Javelin aircraft.cfg so we can see if there is anything there.
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

As follows>

[lights]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing

light.0 = 3, -10.469, -25.352, 0.232, fx_navred
light.1 = 3, -10.469, 25.352, 0.232, fx_navgre
light.2 = 3, -29.737, 0.619, 10.155, fx_navwhi
light.3 = 4, 13.251, 0, 3.644, fx_vclight
light.4 = 4, 8.557, 0, 3.326, fx_vclight
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK first the boring nerdy stuff. Only two versions of the Javelin had burners, the FAW8 and the FAW9. So the FAW5 shouldn't have burners and so isn't an issue. If the two models use the same cfg file then I think I know the cause.

The lights section doesn't have any burner effect so what I think is happening is this. I think that the FAW9 has burner effects built into the mdl. I think that you experience the effect on start up but as its an AI fde either you will only get the effect on one engine or it could be that the fde you use is designed for a single engined aircraft.

Which fde did you modify for this aircraft?
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Steve, thanks for reply, I will just clarify a few points.
The A/B effects do not appear during day time, only in the dark, the nav lights are on pre start up both day & night.
The CFG file in use was kindly provided by a member of this Forum, however the same effects were seen with the original CFG provided by AS.
As you are aware the A/B do not come into play untill 22000 ft, however they are a selectable item.
I have deleted the Panel from these AI versions, would they have an effect as there are seperate panels for the two Mks?
Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Brian,
The key point that you make there is that the same effect was visible when using the original fde. This says to me that it is a case of builtin effects that do not work properly under the AI engine, rather than the possibility of the fde not being properly set up for two engines.

You are absolutely fine deleting the panels as the AI engine ignores normal xml gauges anyway.

I believe that you are stuck with what you have. I think that you made need to hope that somebody produces a true AI model.

On the performance of the Javelin, I remember reading an article in Air Clues when I first joined the RAF on why the Javelin had a longer take off run with afterburning engines than with non-afterburning. I couldn't believe the kludge that was made to the fuel system to add the burner. It basically reduced the thrust of an afterburning engine to less than cold thrust power unless you were over FL200! However that one ever got approved I have no idea.
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Cheers Steve, the A/B's were not used for take off as apparantly they reduced power below 22000ft. There is a vid somewhere where, I think it was 64 Sqdn, did a final fly past and landed with the A/B's on full chat.
My early carrer was spent for 8.5 yrs on 29 (6's and 9's) and 5 (9 & 9R)
And yes I would really appreciate someone producing an AI Version.
Cheers
Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

My time on 29 and 64, well 64R/228 OCU, was on 'tooms so we probably both read the same article.
Steve