The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

AirEd for Airfiles in Win 7 64-bit

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

AirEd for Airfiles in Win 7 64-bit

Post by Janeway »

I DO have a problem with "AirEd" in Win 7 64-bit....

Win 7 will open the program when I click on the "AirEd.exe" application file.
But it will NOT apply the option "Set AirEd for AIR files" from inside "AirEd".
It will NOT open ANY aircraft "Airfile" with AirEd using the right-click and "Open with..." option, because AirEd is NOT listed or even recognised as a "program".

The ONLY way - for me - to open an aircraft airfile is to:
1. Launch "AirEd"
2. Click "File" on the AirEd Menu bar.
3. Then select and click "Open" in the drop-down menu.
4. Finally, I have to navigate to the aircraft airfile I want to open, using the browse feature.

As you can see, it's not as easy as opening AirEd with one click, as in Win XP.
Is there some way to make Win 7 recognise "AirEd" as a "program", and so that Win 7 makes it the "Default" program to open ANY airfile...??

Does anybody else have the SAME problem with AirEd in Win 7, or is it just ME ???
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: AirEd for Airfiles in Win 7 64-bit

Post by John Young »

I can't open a .air file with AirEd in W7 64bit by double clicking the .air file either Janeway, but have to navigate through the AirEd file selection menu like you. That's not a problem for me a) because I don't spend all day opening and closing .air files and b) I also use AirWrench which is far more comprehensive and I sometimes switch between the two programs. If you are working on one particular file, it will be listed in "most recent" anyway and that's only 1 click away.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I can't really say why you have the problem but the system works on my system.

I can't double on the item and have it open as on my system an '.air' is set up as an Adobe Air file. However, I can right click and it gives me the option to use either adobe or aired to open the files.

If I remember correctly, it didn't at first until I actually selected the Aired program manually using the Choose default program option. Although I didn't set it as default it remembers your choice and then automatically offers you the option every time you right click on that file type.

Have you tried that? What is the default icon for .air files?
Steve
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Janeway »

Thanks for your input, John and Firebird.
Yes, I have tried already to right-click the file - as you said, Firebird - but ONLY Adobe Air is ever there. Even though I have browsed to the Aired.exe several times, Win 7 just will NOT acknowledge it even exists.
So I will have to settle for opening it up as John says.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Have you tried running it as Administrator? Might be a permission thing.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

Reginald,

I have seen this post after I answered your PM... :smt001

Just in case this is of interest for anybody else I would suggest this approach:
You can try this trick: right-click the Aired.exe executable and selelct RunAs Administrator. Now try the "Set AirEd for AIR files" option again.

The other thing to try is this. If you have an unknown extension like air and select the Open option, the Win should ask you how you want to
open it. Select the option "select a program from a list of installed programs". The following dialog should list several program, AirEd most likely not included. But you will find a "Browse" button somewhere down in that dialog. Click on the button should bring up a file selection dialog. Now you point that dialog to the folder where you have installed AirEd.exe and select this file.
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Janeway »

Jolly nice of you all to suggest possible solutions.
This goes for Vulcandriver and GSNDE, too.

However, John Young's solution is the ONLY way to open "airfiles" on my Win 7 setup.

Writing a Registry Key to make Win 7 "see" the "AirEd.exe" file might solve it, but I've no idea
what format such a key would be in, and where to place it in the Registry.
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by SeanG »

I have a shortcut to AirEd on my desktop, and just drag the airfile (from it's folder) onto the icon on the desktop and it works fine.

hth

SeanG
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Janeway »

SeanG wrote:I have a shortcut to AirEd on my desktop, and just drag the airfile (from it's folder) onto the icon on the desktop and it works fine.

hth

SeanG
Yes, that's a real good method of opening an "Airfile" in Win 7.....thanks!! I will apply it from now on.
It did NOT occur to me!