The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

MPAI Mirages III NOT holding short

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

MPAI Mirages III NOT holding short

Post by Janeway »

While adding several military fighters to an airbase -mostly Mike Pearson AI - I noticed that the Mirage III (French Air Force) were NOT holding short of the line before take-off. They keep going right into one another....merging together!!
I even tested the Royal Australian Airforce Mirage III models....SAME thing.

Yes, I have double-checked that the RED hold-short node is correctly linked to the runway.
But I have no clue what might be causing this anomalous behaviour in MPAI Mirage III aircraft.
Attachments
The three MPAI Mirage III planes should have stopped AT the hold-short bars.<br />ALL three aircraft ignore the hold-short node, stop just short of the runway and hence merge together.
The three MPAI Mirage III planes should have stopped AT the hold-short bars.
ALL three aircraft ignore the hold-short node, stop just short of the runway and hence merge together.
Mirage III [MPAI] (1).jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 457 times
This screenshot proves the three planes are all awaiting clearance.  Beyond the hold-short bars.
This screenshot proves the three planes are all awaiting clearance. Beyond the hold-short bars.
Mirage III [MPAI] (2).jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Last edited by Janeway on 29 Jan 2014, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: MPAI Mirages III NOT holding short

Post by Janeway »

Further testing with other AI produced correct behaviour: the AI do hold-short of the line and do NOT cross over until cleared for take-off.
Both the MPAI F-104 Starfighters and the FMAI Mirage 2000 hold short properly, behind the lines. Perfect performance by both models!!
The screenshots below confirm this...so it does not seem as if the afcad itself is causing this irregularity, or other AI would imitate the Mirage III anomalous behaviour.
After changing the Mirage III "airfile" with that of another AI model plane, the problem persisted.

However, one never knows enough when it comes to FS9, so there might be something I've missed or do not know behind this...
Attachments
The two FMAI Mirage 2000 again hold short.<br />The MPAI Mirage III keeps going, ignores the hold-short bars, and stops just short of the runway.<br />There's an aircraft on the runway, and ALL three planes are waiting for clearance.
The two FMAI Mirage 2000 again hold short.
The MPAI Mirage III keeps going, ignores the hold-short bars, and stops just short of the runway.
There's an aircraft on the runway, and ALL three planes are waiting for clearance.
Mirage III [MPAI]+ Mirage 2000 [FMAI].jpg (9.05 KiB) Viewed 453 times
MPAI  F-104 Starfighters perform flawlessly.<br />Holding short of the yellow bars.
MPAI F-104 Starfighters perform flawlessly.
Holding short of the yellow bars.
F-104 Starfighters [MPAI].jpg (7.31 KiB) Viewed 453 times
Janeway
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Janeway »

After some more investigating....the problem is SOLVED.

In the aircraft config file there is ONE parameter that I tweaked:

[brakes]
toe_brakes_scale = 0.01 (ORIGINAL value)

This is the NEW value (which I copied from the MPAI Mirage IV model which DID hold-short correctly);

[brakes]
toe_brakes_scale = 0.75 (NEW value)

When I tested Mike Pearson's "Mirage IV" model, there was no problem.
Comparing the aircraft config files of BOTH aircraft - the MPAI Mirage III and the MPAI Mirage IV - models,
I noticed the big difference in the value set for the "toe_brakes_scale".
So I decided to tweak just this one parameter, then see what happens....

Apparently, this was the cause of the problem.
Attachments
All three MPAI Mirage III now stop short of the bars, awaiting clearance for take-off.<br />ONE parameter only was altered in the aircraft config file.
All three MPAI Mirage III now stop short of the bars, awaiting clearance for take-off.
ONE parameter only was altered in the aircraft config file.
MPAI Mirage III (1).....OK.jpg (5.93 KiB) Viewed 420 times
The MPAI Mirage III aircraft DO hold-short, after tweaking the parameter specified above.
The MPAI Mirage III aircraft DO hold-short, after tweaking the parameter specified above.
MPAI Mirage III (2).....OK.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 420 times
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

That 0.01 toe brakes scalar setting could certainly cause that problem and was probably intended to be 0.1 by the AI FDE creator. Often times the toe brakes scalar is reduced in AI FDE's to prevent too much of a nose dip when the AI slows or stops on the ground, but obviously 0.01 is going a bit too low. I usually set the toe brakes scalar for my AI FDE's at between 0.25 and 0.50 with no problems. :wink:
    Mike M.