The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Problem Scaling

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
flynby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Problem Scaling

Post by flynby »

Wonder if someone could show me how to correct the scale so the top window and the right window would match together? The length is 57.1 ft. The width is 8.7 ft. The height is 14.5 ft. I use the right window to scale the length. I use the top window to scale the width. And I use the back window to scale the height.
Is this the correct way to scale? Appreciate any suggestions.
Attachments
Problem Scaling.jpg
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Problem Scaling

Post by MIKE JG »

You'll find that three view drawings can be wildly inaccurate (much to our dismay!). In my experience, finding one that is 100% accurate in all three views is very rare. We end up having to make due with what we can find.

The way I do it is to create a box part in the same dimensions of the aircraft that I'm working on.

So in your case, make a box part and set it's length at 57.1ft, it's width at 8.7ft and its height at 14.5ft.

Make sure to save this part as a measuring tool that you can go back to occasionally to check on your model's dimensions.

Use your new box part as a guide to scale your drawing. Set the part in the design window where you want the model to sit.

With your new part you can simply scale each background drawing until they are the correct size. Takes some trial and error but you'll get it where you need it to be eventually.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
flynby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by flynby »

I understand. The box is a good suggestion. Today I had good luck with the project. In the top window, I used the scale and made it 57.1 ft also. When I clicked the Apply button, I saw a slight movement. When I centered the project evenly in all three windows, everything lined up perfect. When I first wrote this topic,
the top window just explored into a huge size. Everything out of proportion. But today, it worked right.
Thank you so much for the advice.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Setting up the three views and getting the scale correct is one of the most important parts of any project.

There are payware developers who have models that are the wrong scale, it's embarrassing for them.
-Mike G.

sr01
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by sr01 »

What Garry said X 2 . Generally I've found the Hasagawa kit 3 views to be the best . IMHO you can basically junk the head-on view and work from the side and top ones . Even then you can run into errors . Take the F-104 .The ONLY accurate 3 views I've found are drawn by a Belgian artist. ALL the rest are junk except for the Hasagawa kit.
A Walkaround of your subject will help enormously with details .
sr01
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by sr01 »

I took another look at your 3 view of the Huey and the head-on view IS junk
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I often use three different drawings from three different three view drawings to get what I need.

Even then you have to be careful what you find. Some three views are of the prototype and not the actual production aircraft model.
-Mike G.