The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

texture question

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
jinx
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

texture question

Post by jinx »

I noticed that in one of Mike Pearson's ai models the texture size is 1 mb.
How can I make a texture for an AI a/c to that size and with which program?

Nick
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: texture question

Post by Firebird »

That is regarded as the best standard for FS9 but are you talking about increasing size to 1mb or decreasing from 4mb?

The reason is that decreasing from 4mb is no problem and you lose little clarity, in my opinion although others would beg to differ, but increasing the size to 1mb from smaller would kill your clarity and I would avoid it like the plague.
Steve
jinx
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jinx »

Firebird,

The original texture is 1 mb and the one of my repaint is 1.33 mb. So I need to decrease the size.

Thanks for replying.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

In fact you don't. The extra 0.33mb is just the texture is mipmapped and in fact is better for your system performance.

Yes it takes up more space but it means that as the models are further away from you the textures applied to the model are smaller in size to and therefore quicker to apply to the model. You don't need to apply a 1mb texture to a model that is a mile away.

If it bugs you that much you can load the texture into DXTBmp and save without the mipmaps box ticked.
Steve
jinx
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jinx »

Thanks--
will try with mipmaps, without them it shows unpainted...
jinx
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jinx »

Both with or without mipmaps, it still shows unpainted....I can try send you the texture by pm... It is not by Mike Pearson--it is the AI Rapide by John Young.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK if it shows white then mipmaps will not cause nor fix the issue
1. Make sure that the scheme is called 'JY_Rapide_t.bmp'
2. Make sure that the bmp size is 1024x512, the same as the original. The size should be 512kb if it does not have mipmaps and 682kb if it does.
3. Make sure that the texture folder name is correct in the texture= field of the aircraft.cfg file.

One thing does occur to me. You said that the texture size was 1.33mb. This is the size of a 1024x1024 texture in DXT3 format. It occurs that maybe the model is picking up the wrong part of your bitmap, if it is sized at 1024x1024. Try resizing to 1024x512 and see if that helps.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just to confirm what Steve has said, my Rapide texture is 1024 x 512, Dxt3 (Fs9) and should be 682kb with mips. Make sure you assign the first model folder in your aircraft.cfg entry, not the "silver" one. You can use the silver one, but it is reflective and will need the alpha channel that it's in the original texture.

John