The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Flight Plans for a large amount of aircraft

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
lillaz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Flight Plans for a large amount of aircraft

Post by lillaz »

Howdy MAIW,

I have created a 130 aircraft repaint project that will be accompanied with flight plans. With that said, are there any tips one could provide in creating multiple leg flight plans for so many aircraft or am I just over thinking things? I do flight plans already using AI Flight Planner Version 3.1.16, but I have never done some for so many aircraft that will operate as a scheduled operation. Thanks again!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Flight Plans for a large amount of aircraft

Post by Firebird »

It depends on the size of aircraft that you are planning for but for fighter/attack aircraft there will a lot of pairs work and some 4-ship work. This would be simulating their operational deployment. There would be more 4-ship work for attack aircraft than for fighters.
Very few singleton flights unless it is for air tests and instrument ratings etc.

There would be more singletons with training squadrons and less 4-ships.

In reality very few aircraft would take off from one base and land at another. That doesn't mean to say that they wouldn't do a TNG at another airfield. Having said that more trainers would land away at other bases than fighters/attack aircraft as part of navigation exercises.

If you are doing retro aircraft try to use retro bases for them to fly to for TNGs or landaways. This way it won't crowd up current bases for people that like to keep their sim us up to date as possible.
Steve
swp53
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by swp53 »

Also useing RPP_FPGen for military flightplans would be easier than AIFP.
Past Beta Tester
lillaz
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lillaz »

Very good pointers; thanks a bunch!
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Another thing to look for are outlying and practice airfields nearby. Navy airfields and Army helicopter aviation airfields tend to have locations scattered around where aircraft will go to practice to take pressure off the main airfield.
Aileronflap

Post by Aileronflap »

Does the RPP_FPGen software allow for multi-ship formations flying as a single entity? I've only been able to to use AIFP and copy a flightplan to get two or more aircraft to fly "close" together, but not as a single formation.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

The AI engine does not allow for multi aircraft formations flying as a singleton. You can cheat it but it takes a lot of work and if you look at some of Mike Mac's formation flypasts you will see what I mean. Also Maikes work assumes that you are trying to achieve a formation at a single point and not a cross country flight.
What you have to do is separate all aircraft in formation by a height of 100' or what will happen is that sometimes you will get aircraft flying through each other.
Steve