The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Helicopter animation effect

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
mins
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Helicopter animation effect

Post by mins »

Hello.

I made a Model of the AH1S Model with 3DMAX.

And I try to bring the animation to FSDS.

The animation should then be inserted into the rotor.

But I don't know. :smt022

There's(FSDS) a lot of airplane propeller animation effect.

No one can find the helicopter animation effect.

Main rotor, rear rotor ...

I ask you a favor. :smt023
Attachments
1.jpg
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Helicopter animation effect

Post by VulcanDriver »

On the Merlin I used XML coding and the default prop animation. The biggest problem you will have is the hover taxi which is why no one at MAIW has done a skid copter. Also unless you have used key frames and some XML it won't take off like a copter. If you look at the Merlin it takes off hovers then noses down to start forward flight.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Forgive me for butting in, I know nothing about what you want to do but John said above no one has done a skid copter, I may be off the mark here but when I use a skid as an AI I raise the skids slightly off the ground, in (most) cases it doesn't look too bad.

Col.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Han Min the helicopter 'effect' is a combination of model animation and XML trickery. There is not a default FSDS setting for that.

If you search the forums, the technique is discussed in several different threads. It requires quite a bit of planning ahead with the model or you end up doing a lot of work to make the effect work correctly.

But...... It can be done!

As the guys have mentioned, skidded helicopters are a bit more of a problem because in the AI system, they still have to 'taxi' to the runway.

That's a nice looking model BTW!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Mins, sorry, a few questions so I can try and understand what you are trying to do:

- Is this to be a flyable helicopter or an AI one?

- Is it for FS9 or FSX?

- If it's to be an AI helicopter, are you intending to have a vertical lift, animated in the model and triggered by XML, or are you going to have a STOL FDE, eg by using a Stemme-based .air file to simulate a helicopter?

- Are you importing the 3DMax model via MCX to FSDS to compile? Is there not an easier way?

- Are you familiar with using xml triggers in AI aircraft?

We have the code that I developed with Kevin for an AI skidden helicopter, It worked fine for me in my test, but no one has used it to completion for real yet as far as I know.

The rotor animation is the same as for a fixed wing aircraft - just "prop0..." etc, unless you want something fancy like folding blades and tie downs.

John
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

Thank you. John.

I want to make a fs9 AI helicopter.

It is very difficult because it is the first time.ㅜ ㅜ
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Mins,

The question in your first post seems to concern the rotor rotation itself. I am trying to build my first helicopter, too (Alouette III), and it was a long time before I learned that you have to treat the rotors as propellers, and that all propeller rotations (at least for FS9) are around the Z axis, so your have to rotate that axis for the main and tail rotors, and the Z axis therefore points upwards (in the usual Y axis) for the main rotor, and sideways (in the usual X axis) for the tail rotor. I hope that helps.

Now I still need to learn more about xml for lift and tilt, of which I know almost nothing..

Jon G
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

Thank you, Jon.

I understood exactly the intent of the question.

I wondered how the rotor would turn out.

Let me study.