The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Hard Time Learning FSDS?

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
ronniegj

Hard Time Learning FSDS?

Post by ronniegj »

You probably already know about this, but just in case not: For those who have stated that they just can't seem to get their heads around FSDS I found that David Eckert created a series of slide show like presentations for the raw beginner to get you started. These are the most eye opening I have found, and I have really looked around hard for good tutorials, believe me!

However, let me add, that I found these and never got to use them as many use a presentation app called viewlet. On his site, he says "no more Java"...etc and as it turns out, you must have a current Java plug in to run the viewlets.

http://daviator.com/tutorials.htm some are just pdf files etc, but all are excellent. The forum on this site seems to have been abandoned as it is full of spam posts, as is the member profile list. What a shame, as this guy obviously knowns his stuff, and can communicate how to very well... I do see him post on other forums occasionally, but I think he is busy with a payware job now..

http://java.com/en/ is where I got a Java plug in from Sun Microsystems for ie6. Once I installed this, suddenly the viewlets work just fine. If you are struggling to get started this is definitely worth the effort.

Hope this helps someone.. Ron
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Ron, thanks for the info and the Java link :idea: . I just watched one of the tutorials and it was really good. I had been wondering how to use a "viewlet" :? . Anyway, every day I learn something new. But at this rate, I'd better build something like the F22 so it won't be obsolete before I finish it :lol:
Thanks again and thanks to all of the modelers who post here for their info. I look forward to the finished products.
Jake
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Your welcome. I know your pain. I have spent the past month attempting to do an S-3 (scrapped 4 versions already) and a Predator B (scrapped two versions already). Spent this first half of today trying to use the bend a tube lession as the basis of creating a prop blade with proper airfoil, curvature etc. Damd, it is possible, but gonna take a lot of practive to get one that is clean and smooth. Part of it is in the planning. Do the wrong step first and all following steps are trashy. This is proof positive that experience plays a major part in this art. Weescotty and Kevin Black had experience in scenery before doing their first a/c, but I still think those guys, and Rip are exceptional geniuses.

Good luck, don't give up. (I think maybe I'll look at the F-35 to avoid obsolesence & leave the F-22 to you) Ron
Don H
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Don H »

These hints are definitely going to help me. I've discarded 7 attempts on my A-7 Corsair II. I think I'm going to go try some early jet models, that had much simpler lines, to help me get things going. We'll be able to do some 50's retro sceneries, maybe. My FSSW version needs some.
Don H
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

I'm right with y'all all the way. I started with a P3 and got the fuse, wings, stab, and fin right but then could not do anything with the engine nacelles so after about a week, I moved on to a t38 and was real pleased with my result even with the waist on the fuse but now how do you do a canopy? I'm still working on it and got some good hints off of that website but its definitly going to take some time and patience. If nothing else, I have gained a lot of respect for these other guys and its nice to know I'm not by myself.
Thanks again and please post any other hints you find.
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Well guys, I found another set of interesting tutorials for FSDS3, altho the pics for some of the tutorials are missing, which makes it a little more difficult to follow. I will be trying to contact the author & see about getting that corrected... http://www.fsplaza.com/tuto_list.html
Don H
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Don H »

WOW :D :D

Yes, this one just helped me BIG TIME!! :D :D

Thank You
Don H
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

My pleasure Don. I'll keep up the search for more good Tutorials... Need a lot of help as I'm 'really dense'... Regards ron