The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Mirroring parts in Gmax

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
jgowing
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Mirroring parts in Gmax

Post by jgowing »

I've made a New Years resolution of sorts to learn enough about Gmax to actually build something, and I'm slowly making some progress now, albeit with a very long way to go.

I'm edging forward on a project, and there are several parts that I need to mirror from left to right. I've already learned not to use the toolbar mirror function to do this (a shame, because it's really easy but apparently it can reverse normals in the sim even if they look fine in Gmax).

Using the mirror modifier, as advised elsewhere online, works okay, but now I want to separate a mirrored part into two separate parts for further work, and that's where I'm currently stuck. I think the detach command may be the answer, but I haven't yet found a satisfactory answer to whether that's correct, and if so, how to apply it.

Any advice from wise heads here would be much appreciated.

Jon G
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Mirroring parts in Gmax

Post by John Young »

Hi Jon, looks like you are progressing well. You are right to "mirror" from the command panel, not the top ribbon.

This is a simple object (part) made up of two boxes attached together:

To separate the right box from the other one, click the "elements" button (highlighted in yellow) from the command panel and then select the right box and click "Detach" from the command panel. This will bring up the "Detach" window. Just rename the part and click OK.

If the part has only one element, you can still detach what you want from it by selecting the faces you want to detach (the square next to the "element" button) and doing the same.

Come back any time. It's good to see you having a go.

John
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Thanks John; I've got there, learning something else in the process. The mirrored part was disappearing, but then I realized your picture just showed Editable Poly under the modifier list, whereas mine still included the Mirror modifier. I didn't realize I had to collapse the stack; there's a first time for everything.

I'll be back!

Jon
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes indeed, Gmax is a voyage of discovery. Glad you have "Detach" cracked.

Have you managed to "collapse" overlapping nodes? That and "slicing planes" is a must for aircraft design.

John
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Yes, I've been able to do some tidying up. Most times I create a part, I'm wrong about the number of sections needed, so welding and slicing practice started early!

Jon
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Excellent. If you started with a New Year's resolution, then in that time you have made really good progress.

John
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

In truth, I made a small start in the autumn, but then real life got in the way for a while. Back on it now, though..

Jon