The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

How can i use the models of AI ships of Henrik Nielson in FS9?

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
asdro
Major
Major
Version: FS9

How can i use the models of AI ships of Henrik Nielson in FS9?

Post by asdro »

Hello guys,

I would like to use some container and pax ships models of Henrik Nielson s AI Ship pack which came out in September 2019.

Unfortunatly it is for FSX and P3D.

I know that in fs9 the AI ships work like AI aircrafts and follow taxi lines in the AFCAD.

The textures which are in dds format can be converted into bmp with certain programs.

But how can i use the models in fs9?

I found a small tutorial on avsim for Queen Mary 2 AI ship.

Can somebody please give some help?

Thanks
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: How can i use the models of AI ships of Henrik Nielson in FS9?

Post by Firebird »

A quick brief.
Firstly does the model show up in FS9?
This you will have to try. Now if I was going to do this I would mod a boat AI that is already in FS9. You add the model folder in as you would do any other. Then you amend the existing traffic file to pick up the new boat and see what happens.

As you say converting the dds to dxt3 is quite easy and even I have done it numerous times using dxtbmp.
The big question is how much in the way of effects or animations are in the new model. If there are none then you stand a chance. Anything that requires an FSX lib and you will fail.
There is not, that I know of, a tutorial on how to convert FSX mdls to FS9 ones - even if it can be done.

IF your test works then you are correct in that you will have to build an afcad for where you actually want the ship to go. There is no other way in FS9. Fine for around the harbour stuff but if you wanted to do the Bismarck running from Norway to Cherbourg then that is one heluva of a big afcad.
Steve
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

There are fx files for the wake effect i guess for certain ships.

Do you know if the fx files in FSX are similar like in FS9?

I know about the range limitation of afcad.

I red 50NM to 100NM distance.

Concerning tutorial it might be not the best expression.

I mean i use a word doc of a package for Kaitak ship traffic for FS9.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I believe that they are, however, what you are talking about is AI effects.
In fs9 AI the only effects you can use have to be controlled by light parameters. So without knowing for sure, even if you get them to work they possibly will need to be triggered differently. Someone with more knowledge on FSX things will need to answer that.

However, I would say that if the ship doesn't appear then the wake effect is kind of pointless. Start with the basic and then see how you can build on it.
Convert the paint. Convert an existing boat traffic to use the new model and then go from there.
Steve
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Ok thanks.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

You may be on a hiding to nothing asdro. FSX models have at least 3 features that FS9 doesn't like. The first is that the material settings that control how the textures are displayed. They are far more detailed than in FS9 and are not recognised. That should stop the model appearing. The other two are the GUID and the "FriendlyName". FS9 won't know what they mean and will probably not play ball.

If I want to convert an FSX Gmax model for use in FSX I need to remove these 3 features and use FS9 material settings.

The wake effect will probably be OK since it is specified in the aircraft.cfg file and not attached in the model, which is not possible in an FS9 "aircraft" model.

John
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Hello John

Concerning the conversion of the FSX model:

Did you mean for use into FS9?

How can i convert such model and how can these three features be removed?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I was thinking it might be possible to run the FSX model through ModelConvertorX and output it as an FS9 model. You would need to have the FS9 SDK installed (you need Makemdl.exe). I just tried one of my FSX models to see if it would convert that way but it didn't (Invalid X file).

You have to get inside the model and MCX is the only tool to do that unless you have Gmax. You could then use MCX to output a 3DSmax file and import that into Gmax. From there you could make the changes and set up the model for FS9. You would need to be familiar with Gmax and know what you are doing. It would take me several hours.

Like I said, you may be on a hiding to nothing.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Firebird wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 15:32 ...if you wanted to do the Bismarck running from Norway to Cherbourg then that is one heluva of a big afcad.
The Bismarck never arrived to Cherbourg, you can create a shorter AFCAD!!! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

...sorry...Can't resist... :roll:
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Henrik is an active member here (username kl791) so you can shoot him a PM if you have specific questions, or you can wait until he chimes in with some answers.

I'm quite sure that the ships don't stay on the same AFD but "fly" from one to another, but Henrik will be able to explain it much better.
bismarck wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 22:17
Firebird wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 15:32 ...if you wanted to do the Bismarck running from Norway to Cherbourg then that is one heluva of a big afcad.
The Bismarck never arrived to Cherbourg, you can create a shorter AFCAD!!! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
:lol:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

bismarck wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 22:17

...sorry...Can't resist... :roll:
I did hear something along those lines. :wink:
Steve
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Thanks to all

I will try to contact him and hope that he has a solution
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Hello simmers,

I wanted to share some interesting informations about the AI Ships of Henrik Nielsen for those who want to use them in FS9.

It is possible to use most models of the AI Ship V2 package which came in September 2019.

All container Ships for example can be used in FS9 and they look awsome!

Round about 60% to 70% models i would say can be used with modelconverterx in FS9.

Unfortunatly many military ships, almost all, cant be converted with model converterx because of the maximum triangles number 65665.
Same for some cruise ships, Supertankers and Superbulkers.

For using the ships with AFCAD you have to consider one important thing.
Many ships have their reference position not in the middle of the model, but on the back of the ship.

That means that you have to use much higher radiuses for the parking spots. Otherwise you wont see them!

A 400m meters EEE class ship needs a radius of 1400feet because of the reference position which starts at the back side of the vessel.

But not all ships have their reference positions at the back side of the ship.
Some ships have their reference positions in the center part of the model which requires a smaller radius.

Another problem that i have found is the Effect file.

Every ship and boat has an effect file. But as i could read, the effect files contain smoke and wake effect in one fx file as it is designed for FSX/P3D.

So i hope to get some help from you guys to find out how can i add the effect files in the aircraft.cfg correctly.

Also how can i convert the ships despite the 65665 triangles problem in Modelconverterx?

Please also consider that the ships dont have aircraft.cfg and airfile.
I used from the Artania Ship both files which are from Erwin Welker at flightsim.com.

Thanks and hope for your support.