The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Saab MFI-17

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
jgowing
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Saab MFI-17

Post by jgowing »

After numerous delays, I have just uploaded my small MFI-17 project to MAIW. There are three files, representing the aircraft currently in service with the Royal Danish and Norwegian air forces, plus flight plans and a paint kit. This is the first thing I have ever made in Gmax, so I am just a little bit nervous.

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed doing this very much, with great support along the way from John Young. It's a simple plane, but I was starting from scratch: I'd made a New Year's resolution to begin to find my way around Gmax.

The Danish and Norwegian aircraft are basically the same but for differing dorsal aerials; aircraft in service with for example Pakistan and Iran differ in similar ways. I had also considered modelling an armed version, but there was no need for that in Scandinavia..

Jon G
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Saab MFI-17

Post by John Young »

Well done Jon. It takes a lot of willpower to stick with it and get a result. I'm really pleased that I was able to help you get there.

John
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by SeanG »

Magnificent ;-)

SeanG
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Anybody that can be creative will always get my admiration.
Steve
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

While I was living in Middle East I had plans to make this little fella but I never went into deep search to look for a difference between MFI-17 and Mushshak.
Thank you for this great contribution.
VIVA LA VIDA
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Now that is released..... any plans for some other variants? Like the older model, armed, and flying in Africa perchance ;-)

SeanG
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Now available in the hangar.

Jon, I didn't see the paintkit in the queue so perhaps you forgot to upload it?
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Hi Greg,

I was sure I had, but the memory isn't what it was.. I've just uploaded now.

Cheers,

Jon
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

SeanG wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 21:51 Now that is released..... any plans for some other variants? Like the older model, armed, and flying in Africa perchance ;-)

SeanG

My focus and interest was Scandinavia, and I didn't notice much reference material for an armed version when doing the initial models, although admittedly I wasn't really looking for that either at the time.

If anyone spots a decent source, I might give it a go. That said, the older version that flew for example in Biafra were Malmo MFI-9's, really quite different, but if there are good references for a true armed MFI-17 or Mushshak, that might be a possibility.

Jon
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

jgowing wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 16:32 I was sure I had, but the memory isn't what it was.. I've just uploaded now.
Cheers. Now available as well.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Excellent realisation. Good job. And many thanks ;-)

Regards
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

jgowing wrote: 29 Aug 2020, 16:44
That said, the older version that flew for example in Biafra were Malmo MFI-9's, really quite different, but if there are good references for a true armed MFI-17 or Mushshak, that might be a possibility.
Well that made me dig through some books up in the loft... My memory must have faded some over the years.. You are of course quite correct; they do look quite different! Although... as a stand-in for my own entertainment I think the -17 will work just fine ;-)

Cheers
SeanG
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Hi Sean,

I found a couple of photos of a Mushshak (or Super Mushshak, hard to tell), toting a small (dummy?) missile under each wing. I haven't seen a drawing anywhere, but I could add an approximate rendition with the appropriate pylons with and without a round.

Jon
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

Just uploaded FSX native conversions of Jons lovely little Saabs. They have been flying happily in my P3Dv4 Scandinavia.

Thanks to Jon for giving me permission to release them.

Please give the librarians time to vet the files and add them to the library.

Gavin
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I just installed the Norwegian ones and while watching them taxi at ENDU they were bouncing all over the place (only saw 2 of them taxing). One of them was bouncing so much it flipped up into the air and when it came down it disappeared!

Is this a problem with the original model or the converted model?

(I am using P3D v5)
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

I had no issues in FS9, but I have had one report of bouncing with an unconverted model in FSX. I didn't mention it previously as it was the only one. It was curable with a substitute .air file, but I'd be interested in further feedback from Gavin as it seemed to work fine post conversion in his set up.

Jon
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Joseph29 wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 03:40 I just installed the Norwegian ones and while watching them taxi at ENDU they were bouncing all over the place (only saw 2 of them taxing). One of them was bouncing so much it flipped up into the air and when it came down it disappeared!

Is this a problem with the original model or the converted model?

(I am using P3D v5)
Simply put -neither.
The problem is the fde. Whether it is fixable by making changes in the cfg file or whether you have to amend the air file I do not know. One of both of them will need to be amended.
Steve
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

Hi,
Sorry Joseph29 I can't help you, they taxi fine in my installation of P3D v4.5.

Having said that, bouncing behaviour like that is usually related to something slightly out of whack in the contacts. Try adjusting the Static Compression or the Damping ratio.

Gavin
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

It's all over the place on my machine & a friend of mines as well. I'll have a mess around with the fde as Gavin suggests & post it here if I'm successful with it
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
JBD
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by JBD »

I mentioned this FSX problem to Jon a while back. Didn’t put it in the forum as I’m hoping to set up retro flight plans for upload. Intended to raise it then.
I fixed the problem by replacing the general section of the config file by copying from the Bulldog. Works fine in my setup. This was using the original FS9 version. I just confirmed that the same problem is present in the FSX version - the same fix works with that too.
It really is a great model. Just out of interest would there be any takers for flight plans using the excellent Otto Knudsen FSX Avnoe scenery. The RDAF Flightschool was located there up to 1993.