The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

C-2A preview

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
a10c130
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

C-2A preview

Post by a10c130 »

Hi all, i don't post much here but i visit everyday. Here's a short preview of my AI C-2A. I've only got about 2 hours invested so far, but it's coming together. I'm on medical leave recovering from cancer so i have nothing but time on my hands so I thought I'd try my hand at aircraft modeling. I have no idea how to do LODs or animations but i'll figure it out eventually. I do have a question for you all though: Is animations like opening doors and flaps really that important to an AI aircraft? I plan to animate the wing fold as it's required for carrier traffic, but do flaps, ailerons, rudders, etc.. really matter for AI? All i seee it doing is addin poly's for no reason. So what do you all think?

PS, any help on modeling LODs and animations would be appreciated, as i can model the airframes pretty easily.

Thanks,
Jason

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/a10c1 ... rntuz7.jpg

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/a10c1 ... ackct5.jpg
Psuls
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Psuls »

Nice work!

E-2C is not far away :)

Personnally I like to see the aileron and elevator moving. Rudder is a no go

But flaps are a must for the landing !
Pascal
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

That's looking great!! I've been thinking about modelling this one too. Glad to see someone else doing it :lol: !

Personally, I think the only flying surface animations needed are flaps and spoilers/airbrakes. The elevator dosen't seem to work right in AI anyway and the ailerons are not very visible plus they add polys.

Stick with it; there are plenty of folks here glad to help. :D
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Looking good, how's the polygon count at this point??
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
a10c130
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by a10c130 »

i'm not sure about poly's as i've heard FSDS counts them low, but it stands at 1600 for LOD 1 so far. I've still got to cut the flaps out so it will rise a few more.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

That's good so far. I think Rysiek figured out that if you multiply the FSDS poly count by a factor of about 1.8, you get close to the actual number. :wink:
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log