The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Merlin MK2 Crowsnest

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Merlin MK2 Crowsnest

Post by VulcanDriver »

WIP.

Has anyone got the serials for the AEW versions. Also this will have fixed rotors as they are only being used on the QE Class carriers. I'll wait until someone makes scenery for them before converting my folding rotor version. Until then they will be land based.
Attachments
Merlin AEW WIP.jpg
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Re: Merlin MK2 Crowsnest

Post by VulcanDriver »

OK Guys

Here she is on a flight over Cornwall from Culdrose ( as my ex navy mate calls it Cold Nose)

Just the LODs to do. Having found out that the Navy have converted existing Merlins from the anti-submarine role, there will duplicate serial numbers so delete these from my HM2 ASW model.
Attachments
bagger.jpg
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

John if you have followed the other thread on LODs and the tests that I did, you only need 2 additional LODs in addition to the primary, - one at about mid range that cuts the polygon count in half and the other a paper aeroplane at a distance. I've done that for the Wildcat's and my Merlin's and it's so much easier to do.

John
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi John yes I read your thread and it's something I've often wondered about. I'll do that.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

UPDATE: LODs done using JY's system. Textures being worked on. The radome swings down and up at 1000ft. FPs will have an altitude set to 6000t which, according the RN, is the height for the radar when operating with the carriers.
John