The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

XML - where is it?

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

XML - where is it?

Post by BLACKCAT »

I'm taking my first steps with FSDS and whislt I'm still a long way from having to get to grips with XML for the bells and whistles on models I would like to know where this XML coding is? Is it in the model; if so how is it accessed and then written back into it? How is that achieved? The FSDS tutorials, even the advanced, doesn't appear to take the novice anywhere near the levels of expertise you guys have achieved and there is no mention of XML so where do the secrets lie?
GrahamS
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by GrahamS »

In FSDS when you create an mdl file the XML file is also created and saved. This can then be modified and put through the compiler again to create a modified model.
Which way is up?
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

OK - thanks for that. How is that XML extracted from the MDL file for modification and then reintegrated?
Dark Morelia
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by Dark Morelia »

I'm sure there are several ways to go about it, but I'm currently using FSDS 3.0 and MakeMDL.
The xml is added into the "MakeMDL.parts.xml" file in the MakeMDL directory, then any models compiled with it will use the xml in that file.
To change it you'll need to open the xml file, change the code, save it, and recompile the model.
Drew >>

GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

If I can address your query about reintegrating the XML into the model. You have a basic misconception of what is happening.

In FSDS you make a model and cause an XML file to be constructed and also the mdl file. It is the XML file which is applied to the compiler to make the mdl file which you then use within FS.

So if you manually adjust/add to/alter the XML code then the altered XML file can be applied to the compiler to make a modifed mdl file.

I hope that makes sense.

edited as a result of a brain ****
Which way is up?
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

'In FSDS you make a model and cause an XML file to be constructed and also the mdl file. It is the XML file which is applied to the compiler to make the mdl file which you then use within FS. '

OK - with it so far but now 'compiler' raises its head. Is not the 'compiler' integral in FSDS or are you using an alternative 'compiler' to compile the model file?

I have completed the FSDS tutorial for the basic aircraft and exported it to FS; sure enough, it appeared OK but I don't see any XML file.

I did note there is an option in FSDS to 'Export at XML' which I did. How then do you import an edited XML back into FSDS?
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

The compiler is provided specifically for FS by Microsoft. It is to be found in the SDK which is available online for FS9 and is supplied with FSK Deluxe. FSDS is setup to use whichever compiler you choose, it is not integral with FSDS.

You can export an XML file from FSDS for modifying and then compiling but you cannot import an XML file back into FSDS. So you have to complete your model as far as possible before exporting and modifying. Once complete you can then compile the model using the MS compiler.
Which way is up?
BLACKCAT
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by BLACKCAT »

That explains all - thanks very much.