The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

White Rocket

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by RipPipPip »

Yes, right. IF a part is made of a semi-transparent material and then is textured with a non-alpha area of the main texture, then all should be OK. I mean those texture areas which have alpha grey could then be reflective (if "reflective" is ticked in makemdl.exe options, btw).
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Hey guys,

Here's the latest on the T38. I think I've finally gotten the fuselage close but the intakes are driving me nuts :x . Rip, I have been studying about texturing but nothing to show so far. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax :? . We're in at about 1050 polys as you see it now, so I guess thats about 2000 in the sim. I know I can lose some more as it stands, but there's still a lot more to do; no control surfaces or animations. I'm kinda stumblin' along in the dark but I'm learning... just hope I'm learning right :roll:

THIS IS FUN :D !!
Attachments
t38_6.jpg
t38_6.jpg (20.31 KiB) Viewed 697 times
reconmercs
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by reconmercs »

well, she looks like a T-38 :) keep up the good work
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Very promising, Jake!

If you'll make your mind to look into my sources, then drop me an email to RipPipPip =at= gmail.com 8)
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
Psuls
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Psuls »

And you can have a look on mines too - but okay, all I learned was coming from Rysiek :)

PM me if you wish so

Damn I can't wait to see Sheppard AFB with your T-38's and my T-37's :D
Pascal
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

T-37's? Did I hear T-37's?

Status? Any chance of a look see?
John
"I may be old and slow, but when I waddle down the hill to a group of cows, I get 'em all - unlike the randy young bulls who get too excited and are totally spent after fun with just one."
Psuls
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Psuls »

drmweaver2 wrote:T-37's? Did I hear T-37's?

Status? Any chance of a look see?
Featuring :

Single and double pilot
taxiing with canopy open and closing on T/O
Flaps getting down one notch on T/O
wheel chokes, air intakes and exhaust covers, and remove before flight ribbons

Lot of Lod's (9) - Few polygons (2297 at max)

look at the previews section : http://www.militaryaiworks.com/preview.html

Soon at your best AI military Website :D
Pascal
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

Doh.... I saw those before.. memory fading rapidly due to alcho.. alcho.. aging.. yeah, that's it.. I keep forgetting things due to aging.
John
"I may be old and slow, but when I waddle down the hill to a group of cows, I get 'em all - unlike the randy young bulls who get too excited and are totally spent after fun with just one."
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Well, I finally put it in the sim (after fixing several compile errors). I've added a few animations but still no wheel wells or gear doors and as you can see, I'm still having issues with the texturing. There may also be some surface problems with the polys: see how the flaps and ailerons look? Rip, I stuck your A10 pilot in; hope you don't mind. Also, ACM is showing 2756 polys at this point. I was hoping to be a bit lighter but I know I can lose a few.
Attachments
T38_FS9_13.jpg
(106.31 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
T38_FS9_8.jpg
T38_FS9_8.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 571 times
T38_FS9_5.jpg
T38_FS9_5.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Psuls
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Psuls »

Nice work Jake

For the flaps & ailerons, try to remove the smoothing of the "vertical" polygons (if any) hidden in the wing.
Pascal
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks Pascal, :D and I assume you mean the wide edges of the flaps/ailerons and also the associated part in the wing (what FSDS calls a "flap filler")?
Psuls
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by Psuls »

Yes that's right

Try to set polygon smoothing to"0" on these polygons, "1" on upper flaps polygons and "2" on lower.
Pascal
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Yes ... do also:
Part -> Snap to scale.
This way those points much close to each other will get welded together.
This should be done to the wing before because the geometry will change a little and you may get unwanted gaps with flaps ...

As to the RWAI pilots - I'm happy that those guys will get trained in your T-38s now :lol:
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Thanks Rip :D . I've been using "snap to scale" on some parts and I've found you have to be very careful and selective about when you use it, but its a great tool and I've been able to get the geometry back by moving points around. I'm still learning about the "when" part :? . You get some unexpected results sometimes. :lol: Should all parts ultimately be "snapped to scale"?
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

aerogator wrote:...You get some unexpected results sometimes. :lol: Should all parts ultimately be "snapped to scale"?
I try to use it for every part but ... yes, sometimes, when I put a big effort in a part I skip that "snap to" :wink:
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

Here are a few pics. I've added gear door animation and have the canopies set with key frames but I have no idea how to make them open and close in the sim :roll: . I went back and read the posts in Wee's F117 thread but I couldn't understand it :?. I think the basic model is getting pretty close and I'd like to do some textures. Can anyone tell me how or point me toward a tutorial for adding panel lines, etc. and how to do the initial textures. I use PSP7 so if someone could hold my hand and get me started... :D; Also on the canopy thing.
Attachments
gear coming up, nose gear doors open and main doors closing
gear coming up, nose gear doors open and main doors closing
T38_FS9_20.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 748 times
gear fully down, nose gear doors closed
gear fully down, nose gear doors closed
T38_FS9_23.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 748 times
T38_FS9_27.jpg
(26.83 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Looks fantastic Jake !
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I agree with Mike, Jake. It is coming on very nicely, keep going.
Steve
aerogator

Post by aerogator »

OK fellows, here is the latest on the Talon. (and BTW, if you need to move this thread, go ahead) I have redone the fuse almost completely: more of a "wasp waist", smaller (and I hope better) intakes, lower and more realistic vertical profile, and more realistic wing location. Still no textures. If someone wants to take that on, it would be welcomed, otherwise I'll just plug along :roll: . Also need help animating the canopy and any other suggestions are welcome too :wink: .

Also, ACM is counting about 2800 polys. Kinda high but I intend to do eight or nine LOD's and maybe we can still lose some polys somewhere.
Attachments
T38_FS9_30.jpg
T38_FS9_30.jpg (14.45 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Looking good.

Don't forget the airbrake, on the underside to the rear of the main undercarriage.

2800 polys is great, mil aircraft are always higher than airlines because of the complex shapes.

To do the texture layout I'll need the model, can also add the canopy animation ;) .

Give me a break form the Kiowa Warrior.

PM'ed you my email address.