The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

GMAX

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
matias
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

GMAX

Post by matias »

Where can I download the GMAX tool and everything that I will need to model an A/C with Gmax?
Thanx
Matt
drmweaver2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by drmweaver2 »

If I remember correctly, GMAX is no longer available as a download... No problem though. It should be on one of your original disks... 2 I think, but I'm not at home right now, so I can't check.
John
"I may be old and slow, but when I waddle down the hill to a group of cows, I get 'em all - unlike the randy young bulls who get too excited and are totally spent after fun with just one."
matias
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

disc 2?

Post by matias »

Which original disk do you mean? FS2004?

Thanks
Matt
CrazyDunc
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by CrazyDunc »

yea he means disc 1 - open it up and look under extras and then gmax.

cheers
Regards,
Dunc
matias
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

GMAX

Post by matias »

It seems as though most ai designers use fsds is this the best way to get a better model with lower polys or does it really mattter?
Thanks
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Hi Matias!

It does matter which tool we use but just in a way of ergonomy and how easy is a development.
Both tools (gmax and FSDS3) can "produce" comparable AI aircrafts for FS2004 (and for FSX, omitting some sophisticated stuff, not being applied to AI).
Gmax is free but (much?) more complicated to start, FSSDS3 is (moderately) payware but start and design IS easy ...
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer
Bell 209
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Bell 209 »

Another consideration is that GMax is a cut-down version of 3D Studio Max, which the guys at Microsoft use to make FS. GMax is Microsoft's tool of choice, which is why they release it and SDKs for it. If you design an aircraft in GMax, you use the exporter for the FS version you need. If you design in FSDS, you buy a different version!

I use both and find GMax easier to build models with but FSDS is easier to apply textures. Try them both and find which works best for you.
RipPipPip
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RipPipPip »

Just to announce here: Abacus will release an FSX version of FSDS3 just in days and pricing is as low as nothing for all current FSDS3 users :P
"For a few FPS more"
Rysiek Winawer